Onion Skin / 422 support

Started by Pumpkinwaffle, July 27, 2012, 01:09:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumpkinwaffle

Hello everyone!

Wondering about compatibility between ML and Dragon stopmotion got me to think ghost image could be improved and used as onion skin, allowing me (and others... probably... ^^) to animate on the go while enjoying this great vital feature.

It would (just) have to be automated in order to use the last picture taken instead of a selected one. And would make ML a powerful tool for animators.

Let me know what you guys think.

Now this may be a little off topic but no point in opening a new topic for a small question. Can ghost image use those 422 images? Because if I could setup a workflow with onion skin and no shutter abuse, without the need of carrying my laptop to school or even to press a trigger/button/key (animating weird stuff can make your hands dirty!)
It would be a dream come true  :o
550D ~ canon 50mm 1.8 ~ canon EF-S 18-55mm ~ canon 35-80mm [macro moded]
http://pumpkinwaffle.deviantart.com/

screamer

I think it's a great idea (and for the 422 files too)

+1 :)
always trying to use the 100% of magic lantern..
Gear:
Canon 60D, all the samyang lenses, Canon 50 mm 1.4, Canon 60mm macro, Canon 70-300 usm, Sigma 4.5mm fisheye, Sigma 17-70 2.8, Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake, all the Lensbabies and a lot of other pieces, Flash metz 58 af2

a1ex

As soon as the picture was taken, press the liveview button and it will be updated.

Pumpkinwaffle

Well like i said the idea is not having to touch the camera at all. It can get pretty messy when you animate clay, the ideal stop motion setup without a computer would be:

-Using the sensor to take silent pictures.
-Automated use of last picture as ghost image for onion skin
-422 support in preview and ghost image

That way one could animate anywhere without the need of a computer while still enjoying great features and wearing out the camera. The two first have more to do with tweaks. As for the last one, it's not vital but stop motion can be pretty heavy on the shutter. Full 422 support would be great.

Magic lantern 2.4 animator's edition :D

a1ex

Got it. This would work best on 5D3 - the only camera that can get FullHD silent pics properly downsampled.

Is the FPS override an option? Take a frame every few for example, record at highest bitrate, and keep only the good frames in post - so you don't have to touch the camera at all.

Pumpkinwaffle

:D
Glad to hear the idea is making its way.

Of course using silent picture would be best on a higher end camera but once turned into video I don't know if it would make a big difference for projects done on the go (besides HD 422 pics are 5000x3000 or something right?). And the option of not killing my camera in a few months by doing animation is nice (art student budget). Fair enough some quality would be lost in the process but not for professionals with high end cameras and it would still offer an extra feature to people with lower end cameras, and the option of using the shutter for super nice results remains.

All the options needed to ease stop animation are already here, like sensor remote, ghost image if tripod get knocked, silent picture to save shutter count. And I just realised you can already take silent pictures using the sensor remote.

It all comes down to:
-An Onion skin option that could fit in the ghost image sub-menu (automated use of the last frame, possibility to tweak the opacity would be awesome)
-422 support in for overlay, to save shutter life without having to sacrifice the onion skin feature

Fair enough I don't know anything about the 422 format so I don't know how hard this would be, but either ways, being able to see/delete 422 pictures from the camera would be a great plus not only to animators.

Fps override could work but there  is no telling of how long it takes to set up a frame before taking a shot and using override would result in too much time lost hunting useless frames down. We're talking 500-2000 frames in one afternoon here, which also why silent picture is nearly vital.

Pumpkinwaffle