Genlock on 7D, a.k.a. buying advice for 3D - 7D ML, Blackmagic Micro, GoPro?

Started by dmk, August 29, 2016, 07:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmk

I'm hoping to shoot 3D soon for a project on the GearVR. My camera budget is around $1000-$2000. I'd like to get advice from y'all about the wisest route to go... mind you I live in Israel so shipping fees, customs, headache, are all relevant factors. Here's what I'm thinking:

I currently own a 7D. It's served me well over the years and I am incredibly grateful to the Magic Lantern devs for breathing new life into it and helping me pimp it out to squeeze best possible footage out of it. My kit is ML Raw, Komputer Bay 64GB cards, and VAF-7D Mosaic filter. I have two lenses with it, the sigma 30mm f/1.4 ex dc and a jupiter-9 with m42/ef mount.

So this gives me a few options:

1. Buy a second 7D and matching lens to the Sigma (will be easiest to match focus and predict close look) and a genlock signal generator. My question is - does ML support genlock on the 7D somehow?

2. Buy the DualHero rig and two GoPro Hero+ 3 Blacks, as well as the 5.4mm lenses for each. Probably don't pay for the "pink fringe" removal. This is a pretty niche area so feel free to ask if google doesn't tell you what some of this is about. This would basically just be for this project and then not really do much for me past that.

3. Buy two Black Magic Micros, genlock sync generator, and lenses. This goes way beyond my budget - so this option means selling my 7D kit

Note that I do want to still be able to shoot regular stuff from time to time. Option 1 and 2 allow me to do that with my 7D. Option 1 will let me do dual-camera shoots even. Option 3 means I shoot regular stuff on the Micro.

I'm bringing this question to the Magic Lantern community, mostly to see if option #1 is viable. If it is, I think it's probably the way to go, since the larger sensor size of the 7D will give me more freedom in general than the Micro....

dmk

Tried to delete this but the forum wouldn't let me... obviously 7D ML is the way to go if genlock is an option! Following up on that here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=1596.0