Canon 5D Mark IV

Started by SiSS, August 11, 2016, 11:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackmoro

Well, I've CLOG installed, so pretty doubt it can be downgraded, unfortunately.

myown

Well i updated my FW to 1.0.4 so i'm ready.

I need a little bit of instructions what i exactly have to do...

a1ex

Alright, please try the following FIR files (for firmware 1.0.4, otherwise the camera will just lock up):

LVRAW5D4.FIR: LiveView raw dumper + regular logging
LVRAV5D4.FIR: LiveView raw dumper + verbose logging

Please run them both in the following modes:
- photo mode, M (just wait) (crashes)
- photo mode, M, plain CR2 picture (take a picture during the first 5 seconds, while the LED blinks)
- photo mode, M, dual pixel raw CR2 (same as above)
- all "interesting" video modes (720p, 1080p, 4K, UHD, all frame rates)

The VRAM dumps will be the same with both files, so you may keep just one copy. Logs will be different (the verbose one will be trimmed; that's the reason for also including a regular one). Logs are not numbered, old files will be overwritten, but the two programs will use different names for the log file. That means, you can run both FIR files for each experiment (place only one of them on the card at a time), then copy the output files on your PC.

noipego

i would like to involve too, but got 1.1.2 installed.. anyone contacted canon repair and asked if they could flash the firmware back to 1.0.4? many thanks for progress ML on 5d4

Levas

Is going back to older firmware versions impossible on the 5dIV or is it possible, but more complicated then other Canon cams ?

myown

Okay, i've done some tests:

- I Updated my FW with your first FIR file (LVRAW5D4.FIR)
- i started the camera and waited - nothing happend
- i turned the camera off
- i turned the camrea on and took a picture during the first 5 sec
-> than i copied the content of my SD Card into a folder on my PC
- changed to Dual Pixel RAW and restarted the camera
- took a Dual Pixel RAW photo during the first 5 sec
-> than i copied the content of my SD Card into a folder on my PC

I also took some videos in 4K and 1080p at different framerates and video options.

Before i continue testing with all resolutions and framerates; i'm not sure if i've done these tests right! I can't find any readable log file...but also, i am a big noob in this area :-D
I uploaded the content of my SD Card to my DropBox:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pspmzkkvhkccfmz/AABhoGSy6W1LR0lYSkEQXKvja?dl=0

Please let me know if i missed something or if this is the way to continue the tests...

Thanks

Danne

Is it also not working downgrading with eos utility as pointed out by a1ex before?
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=18941.0

Levas

@Myown

Not sure how this exactly works, but I expect the FIR files are temporarily updates.
So you can do a firmware update with them, the content gets loaded during update and then it's probably logging.
Once you switch off your camera, the whole stuff from the FIR file is gone, your camera is back to normal.

Quote from: a1ex on September 12, 2018, 12:27:42 PM
Please run them both in the following modes:
- photo mode, M (just wait)
- photo mode, M, plain CR2 picture (take a picture during the first 5 seconds, while the LED blinks)
- photo mode, M, dual pixel raw CR2 (same as above)
- all "interesting" video modes (720p, 1080p, 4K, UHD, all frame rates)

So I expect you use it as follows, turn your camera on, put it in one of the modes Alex asked for (for example, photo mode, M mode on the mode dial)
And run the FIR file through the firmware update. After that it probably starts logging (see if you can see the card reader led blink after update is done ?)
Then switch camera off (the FIR update is gone, your camera is normal again) and check if you can see a log file on your card.

Switch your camera on again, and switch to a second mode, for example photo mode, M again, run the FIR file through firmware update. After the update is done, take a picture, wait till card reader led stops blinking and you can turn your camera off.
See if you get a log file this way ?

myown

I thought i missed something  ::)

So again; i copied the FIR file on the SD Card and started my camera. Than i loaded the FIR file with the FW Update.
After the "update" the LED blinks some times and stops after a few seconds.

I tried to take a picture but the shutter did not release! Also the focus was not working.
Browsing through the Menu works.

So i turned the camera off and checked the SD Card: no files...only the standard folders are on it.

The behavior is with both FIR files the same...

Levas

In that case I'm out of ideas.
Plan B, wait for Alex.

a1ex

Plan C: please PM me a copy of your ROM dump.

Alternate FIR files (confirmed by chris_overseas on 1.0.4, but no firmware version checking done and raw dumps will be resized):

TST8_5D4.FIR: LiveView raw dumper + regular logging
TST7_5D4.FIR: LiveView raw dumper + verbose logging

Expected output: http://www.redyeti.net/test/TST7_5D4/ and http://www.redyeti.net/test/TST8_5D4/

Edit - diagnosed: apparently trying to enable/save the image buffers outside LiveView ends up with a crash.

For photo mode, please find some general-purpose loggers (they don't do anything else):

LOGV_5D4.FIR: verbose logging (preferred)
LOGR_5D4.FIR: regular logging

First try the verbose version.
- If the log file ends with "Logging finished.", that means the log is complete (was not trimmed) and there's no need to run the regular one.
- Otherwise, the log is incomplete (buffer size too small) and you should run the regular logger as well in order to get some of the missing messages.

The logging experiment should be performed with:
- simple startup in photo mode
- raw photo capture
- dual pixel raw photo capture

Optional (I won't need them right now, just nice to have when looking into stuff): image playback, sensor cleaning, startup with external monitors, startup with either SD or CF, changing exposure parameters, startup with different lenses, touchscreen operation, autofocus, audio settings, whatever else you may find interesting in Canon menus.

You've got 10 seconds (5 LED blinks) to perform the experiment; after that, a log file will be saved. The log file is not numbered and will be overwritten.

TODO: allocate large blocks of memory (hard to do right after startup, so it would require some sort of two-stage logging) and log all MMIO events. Already doing that on DIGIC 4 and 5 (dm-spy-experiments and io_trace_full branches) and the logs were extremely helpful.

basekson

I just tried the latest LOGV.

I did this: (but it only worked with live view, it would not snap the picture unless I turned the LV on)
- simple startup in photo mode
- raw photo capture
- dual pixel raw photo capture

Here is my logs:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bdvyzsszjp88vps/AACOPImEVyiiZRIjdY2p8Vsva?dl=0

Tell me if there is anything else I can do or if I did something wrong. Hope I can help!

a1ex

Thanks - that's just the simple startup, right? No idea why it wouldn't snap the picture; the camera should work normally after firmware update. Are other buttons working?

basekson

Sorry but I am new to this but I am some kind of technical so just tell me what to do and I will try.

I did this:
Installed 1.0.4 for Canon.
Switched to your LOGV_5D4.FIR: verbose logging (prefered)
Booted the camera up.
Systempref -> firmware update.
And the text showed "Firmware update" for like 2 sec.
Then it started blinking.
I tried to take photos in auto, manual (with and without AF)
Tested with/without Dual pixel.
Would not snap.
Started live view and used snap by touch and it worked.

Turned off and uploaded the log.
Made another try and did try to do all this above in 10 sec.
Uploaded the log in the same dir as the link with _nr_2 added.

Am I doing something else wrong here?

a1ex

My bad, it was 5 seconds (logging takes place during the LED blinks); looks like the timer from QEMU is a little off. Seen the second log, too (didn't see it the first time).

If you double-click the LiveView button during these 5 seconds, does it change anything? These two logs don't show any sort of LiveView or photo capture activity...

edit: updated the two FIR files with 10 seconds (5 blinks, 1 second on, 1 second off).

edit: also added PHOTO5D4.FIR: 5 blinks, photo capture, 5 more blinks, save log.

I remember CHDK folks had similar issues on some models (maybe problems with video recording or something like that) when running from the Firmware Update dialog. Maybe it's worth trying to enable the boot flag and run the same test code as we normally do (autoexec.bin), if any of you is willing to take the plunge.

edit: DEBUGMSV.LOG from Attempt 3 shows some LiveView activity; unfortunately the logging buffer gets full really quickly, so that won't work for still photo capture.

basekson

Now I did a new try and updated the links and deleted the old ones.
The file got larger so I think it worked. This was just taking a photo with live view.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bdvyzsszjp88vps/AACOPImEVyiiZRIjdY2p8Vsva?dl=0

Edit: did try photo fir also, I made folders for every new try.

Edit 2: Did some new tries with faster sd-card on my to latest tries but did not get Log completed.

goldenchild9to5

Great job guy's.. if I had a 5D IV I would of helped. 

a1ex

Boo... giving up for now.

Found the LiveView RAW dump filename (46201988.RAW) in LiveView logs, as "pbyDafRawAddr 46201988". That might tell why the DNGs I've got were distorted - why didn't I think about it earlier?!

The image format is roughly similar to what I've got from 70D, except it's full color and has lower resolution.

The sample I've got is not very interesting for showing the effect, so if you'd like to see some dual pixel LiveView frames, please run the following FIR in movie mode (plain 1080p) with the camera looking at anything half-decent (your choice):

TST8_5D4.FIR: LiveView "DafRaw" dumper + regular logging

domasa

This is main news of the day!
I watched the forum live.. better than Apple Keynote  :D

basekson

Maybe I did something wrong, I did choose RAW (S/L) in the end yesterday. Thought it might not fill the buffer as fast as RAW.
I did a new attempt with your new FIR and also included the .raw file. When I did open it was just jitter, but thats maybe normal for testing :-)

a1ex

Apple Key...what? There was a tweet saying that Apple didn't announce a full frame camera; that's what I've noticed (but I'm usually not up to date with news).

Re-uploaded LVRA[WV]5D4.FIR (found a bug) and decoded the dual pixel streams from LiveView (the "resized raws" I was talking about earlier).

5D4-lv-daf-raw.html (14MB)

8)

basekson

Just tell me if you like me to try something that could help. I don't se the fir you are talking about.

a1ex

Their location did not change.

MD5:
3bfb6bd6e2938c9233b5ef5b0e7ccac9  LVRAV5D4.FIR
a9349c80d24f11143c0d3432a1d3bfba  LVRAW5D4.FIR

Yet another fix:
917b0fea581889903378bbf2a9eb18f4  LVRAV5D4.FIR
553e1c9779994740cb563d7336d411fc  LVRAW5D4.FIR

kichetof

Quote from: a1ex on September 13, 2018, 07:07:06 PM
8)

More SwissArmyKnife to come! Stay tuned (like Steve Jobs says!)

goldenchild9to5

No way Guy's @a1ex @kichetof is that what I think it is.. actual dual pixel liveview Raw coming from the 5D4 WOW.