Author Topic: Canon 40D  (Read 302923 times)

domasa

• Freshman
Re: Canon 40D
« Reply #450 on: October 31, 2019, 08:33:10 PM »
Now is visible. Incredibly  8)

heder

• New to the forum
« Reply #451 on: November 07, 2019, 04:58:39 PM »
Still working, current status ... 

Embedded SW engineer. Current Cameras: Canon 20d, 40d, 350d

heder

• New to the forum
« Reply #452 on: November 12, 2019, 12:05:00 PM »
I'm stuck at the moment  :(. My issue in inside LiveView with the HD buffers.

When the camera is started in liveView the HD buffers are correct, and my histogram is correct and it shows the histogram of LiveView.
When I capture a image in LiveView, the HD buffer seems to be locked to the image taken and thus the histogram is locked to the image taken.
So when I return to Live View, the HD buffer is locked to the captured image and does no longer show the histogram of LiveView. When I take
another image the HD buffer gets updated to this new image, and the histogram is changed. The buffer returned to me is not HD buffer with
LiveView content but the image buffer of the last captured image.

I'm going to make screenshot work for 40D (yuv mode) so I can dump correct images and then I guess I need to run the 40D FW in QEMU
with breakpoints in the firmware. There is a function "lvGetResources" that prints out the correct LiveView YUV buffer address in the log, but
ghidra fails to decode which function(s) call lvGetResources. I would like to get that call tree.

srsa

• New to the forum
« Reply #453 on: November 12, 2019, 07:56:05 PM »
I would like to get that call tree.
In case qemu can't get that far, you could also try using cache hacks (src/cache_hacks.h) on the camera.

heder

• New to the forum
« Reply #454 on: November 12, 2019, 10:10:45 PM »
YES thanks, good idea, I just need to intercept the call using cache hacks and read the LR register, then I can  find the return address of the caller

heder

• New to the forum
« Reply #455 on: November 20, 2019, 10:53:24 PM »
I'm having trouble, I hoped I could get a version before xmas, but it looks badly. It's a simple requirement I thought was allready done, but its not : The position of the HD vram buffers are not static.

I havent found the caller of lvGetResources yet, QEMU/gdb won't break, and cache hacks won't do the trick in the real camera either, I'v had troubles in the past with cache hacks on 40D, like I can't use cache hacks on the canon debugmsg function, this does however work in QEMU. My last try is going to use cache hack in QEMU (next week) - This should work.

Scenarios tested:

1. Live Mode

-> Start camera
-> goto LiveMode
-> save all HD buffer 1,2,3.
Result : All three images is Live HD images  :)

2. Live Mode + image capture
-> Start camera
-> goto LiveMode
-> capture image (take photo)
-> re-enter LiveMode
Result : All three images is the captured photo - NOT live mode images  :(

3. Photo Mode
-> Start camera
-> Capture image (take photo)
-> Goto Live Mode
Result : All three images is noise  :(

.. back to basics ..

srsa

• New to the forum
« Reply #456 on: November 22, 2019, 07:31:48 PM »
I'v had troubles in the past with cache hacks on 40D
I've had similar experience on PowerShots.
I found that the firmware's (and CHDK's) cache manipulation functions counter-act cache hacks. The locked part of cache remained locked, but the content vanished from time to time.
The real solution (IMHO) would be a rewrite of all offending cache manipulation functions, so that they don't touch the locked part. A less reliable way would be re-adding the hacks at the end of each such function.
I chose an even less reliable solution: I re-added the hacks every 10ms, using a task that cycles once every 10ms. It was good enough for doing research.

As far as I know, some ML ports and modules rely on cache hacks - I have no idea how they get away without experiencing similar issues.

One more tip: If I see it correctly, lvGetResource only has data references (no b or bl targets it directly). You could get away just by patching those references using the data cache.

heder

• New to the forum
« Reply #457 on: November 27, 2019, 09:26:17 AM »
Srsa .. You are right about cache hacks. The QEMU "Digic" processor works better in some cases, but on LvGetResources I ran out of luck. Ghidra shows no direct reference to lvGetResource, but alot of function is'nt called directly but indirectly just like lvGetResource, but in most cases I am able to find a pointer to the function, being passed as a argument to another function, but again with lvGetResource I ran out of luck. Ghidra is really good, but in all cases is does'nt understand functions that does'nt start with a stmdb, like if there a mov before the stmdb ghidra get confused, and having to manually make these function is waste of time, and I have a feeling that the pointer to the function or direct call is hidden somewhere.

I wanted was to find the memory (struct) that points to the LV buffers, as this is the very last task before making a beta build.

For now in working in a different direction, I'm have dump'ed the 256 MB ram and have disected this into images as green(rgb),grey,luma(YUV422),chroma(YUV422) in 8 different sizes (512,720,864,972,1024,1944,3888), which resulted im over 6000 images I need to review, which was converted into a movie using ffmpeg, which I need to watch :). If the LiveView buffers are there, I should beable to find them.

if this failed I might try your to 10 ms re-adding hack cache method.

srsa

• New to the forum
« Reply #458 on: November 27, 2019, 06:57:55 PM »
Ghidra shows no direct reference to lvGetResource, but alot of function is'nt called directly but indirectly just like lvGetResource, but in most cases I am able to find a pointer to the function, being passed as a argument to another function, but again with lvGetResource I ran out of luck.
Assuming lvGetResource is the function that references the "[LV] lvGetResource 0x%lX (0x%lX)" string, there are 4 data references pointing to it (= the function's address appears 4 times). These references are a few kBytes "above" the function. It looks like Ghidra doesn't automatically notice references like that. I found them by placing the cursor to the function's first instruction and choosing "Search" -> "For direct references" in the CodeBrowser's menu. I then had to turn those bytes into pointers (P button). The references all appear to be part of a huge struct, and that struct is referenced from a function. I'm not familiar with this style of code as PowerShots implement state machines differently.

heder

• New to the forum
« Reply #459 on: November 27, 2019, 11:51:13 PM »
Assuming lvGetResource is the function that references the "[LV] lvGetResource 0x%lX (0x%lX)" string, there are 4 data references pointing to it (= the function's address appears 4 times). These references are a few kBytes "above" the function. It looks like Ghidra doesn't automatically notice references like that. I found them by placing the cursor to the function's first instruction and choosing "Search" -> "For direct references" in the CodeBrowser's menu. I then had to turn those bytes into pointers (P button). The references all appear to be part of a huge struct, and that struct is referenced from a function. I'm not familiar with this style of code as PowerShots implement state machines differently.

Oh yes, I see it clearly now. Huge struct, that will take some time to dig into that. I never learned the "Search" -> "For direct references" until now, thank you for pointing that one out.

heder

• New to the forum
« Reply #460 on: November 29, 2019, 07:18:22 AM »
I have located LiveView, but they're not at a fixed address.

I dumped the ram and converted into different size and formats 512,720,864,972,1024,1080,1944,3888 versus grey,green (rgb),luma(Y422),chroma(Y422),chroma(YUV411) and finally converted them into a movie with ffmpeg, that way I analyzed around 10000 images. Quite effective. This method took some time but it's really nice. I found multiple images in different sizes all over the place, and I found what I was looking for the LiveView buffer. The images I found (smaller size) was:

1. HD buffers
Numbers    : 32
Size          : 1024 x 680
Address    : Dynamic (changes when a image is taken)
Encoding   : YUV422

2. LiveView buffers
Numbers    : 2
Size       : 720 x 214
Encoding   : YUV411

3. Miniature (NOT LV image)
Numbers    : 1
Size       : 180 x 320
Encoding   : YUV422

Next step is to locate the memory that references these images - or finding the pointers passed to lvGetResources .. seems to be same issue  ???.

heder

• New to the forum
« Reply #461 on: Yesterday at 09:09:58 PM »
Finally I made some progress again :). I had to ditch the previous attempt and re-read the disassembled code in order to hunt the correct HD images, this was a pretty good idea. A function called within lvGetResources actually stored the main input parameter (first argument to lvGetResources) at 0x1c804. This pointer is static allocated and points to structure in memory (possibly allocated), at offset 0x94 in this struct is a pointer to one of the current YUV HD images. The image pointer is always correct and is updated after each shot. Now I can shoot images in livemode with correct histogram and vectorscope.