Removing memory card and running camera without ML card

Started by Sseguin, July 16, 2016, 05:11:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sseguin

I am new to Magic Lantern, and I have been trying to get a few facts straight. The following seems to have a bit of conflicting (and perhaps unclear to me) information so I am asking here to see if I can get clarification.

Once Magic Lantern is installed, and you have the memory card inserted into the camera and turn it on it will load ML and everything works fine.
However, if you turn off the camera, and remove the memory card or put a formatted card in, ML doesn't seem to load and it's just the plain Canon firmware. Is there any issues running the camera like this?

In other words, the camera will work perfectly fine whether the ML card is installed or not, it will just affect available features? (No ML features without the card inserted)

I read a lot about the 5 second rule before opening the card door and removing the card. But 5 seconds refers to waiting after turning off the camera before opening the door, or turning off and removing the card?

Sorry for the questions, I have tried reading all over the site and checking forum posts but these few details aren't clear and there seem to be several views on them.
Thank you for your time in answering.

Walter Schulz

1.: There is only one issue.
Cam with bootflag enabled (done during installation once) will look for a bootable card. This will take less than a second. It will therefore slow down startup a bit and will occur leaving power save state, too.
And some older Eye-Fi cards are incompatible with this access and will freeze the cam if bootflag is enabled.

2.:
Top of page -> User Guide -> Install Guide -> Important -> Second item.
Access to card will take place *after* opening card door and it does not matter if power switch is set to Off.