[WONTFIX] Auto ISO in M (in photo mode) possible on 5DII?

Started by stormy_weather, July 28, 2012, 08:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stormy_weather

I have found comments that changing the upper and lower limits of Auto ISO (like the competition has it since years and even Canon has now started implementing) is impossible.

But would it be possible to add the existing Auto ISO implentation to M, in photo mode? While it is not perfect, there are photographic situations, like indoor sports or theatre, where I would love to control aperture and speed and still remain in an Auto mode.

Ideally, this would be accompanied by the ability to use exposure compensation (perfect for theatre photography).

I know that mentioning this in a Canon community may result in blank faces  ;) (because Canon never had this), but coming from Pentax, some years ago, I know it is actually quite usefull.

Any chance?

Regards,

Sven     

d-dsn

scrax

Just a note:
On the 600D you can have auto iso in M mode with only upper limit, on 400D not but if I don't remember wrong 400plus has an autoISO feat for M mode.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

stormy_weather

To the best of my knowledge, 1100D, 550D, 600D, 650D, 60D and 7D provide the ability to use Auto ISO in M, with an adjustable upper limit.

5DIII, 1DX and probably 6D allow adjustment of upper and lower ISO limit.

1DIV has Auto ISO in M but does not allow adjustment of limits.

All other/earlier cameras do not feature Auto ISO in M and none allow exposure correction with Auto ISO in M.

So the feature is slowly being adopted, very slowly.

Regards,

Sven

criz_a

I would love to have this! Could it be possible at all? Thanks..

Elisha

I would love this feature on the 5D2 as well please. I miss it from my 7D.

alexdi

Another bump for this. Of all the new features on the 6D and 5D III, this is the one I miss most.

pholler

stormy_weather

There is a similar request here:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=4051.0

It would be so nice if somebody from the developer team could have a look and say something about the possibilities to implement this. If it is plain impossible, there is no point to carry on thinking about it (and to find support)...

Regards,

Sven

scrax

Which camera don't have that?

Please correct me:
No AUTO ISO in M mode:
350D
400D*
450D
500D
30D ?
40D ?
50D ?
5Dc

only MAX limit:
EOS M ?
550D
600D
650D
60D
5Dmk2

MIN and MAX limit:
7D (maybe only after 2.x firmware update?)
6D
5Dmk3
*400Dplus

For 5Dc and other WxWorks cameras (digic II) maybe 400Dplus code can be ported. Also I want to try to force set auto iso in M mode on 5Dc but I have problem compiling it right now so I'm stuck.
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

StefanKeller.AC

7D has only MAX-Limit, (with latest firmware)
No Canon DSLR has auto ISO with flash.

stormy_weather

Thanks for investing time in this!

I have checked a number of owners manuals and cameras, so I am pretty sure my previous summary is correct. I have interspersed comments below:

Regards,

Sven

Quote from: scrax on January 16, 2013, 10:05:53 PM
Which camera don't have that?

Please correct me:
No AUTO ISO in M mode:
350D                              correct
400D*                            correct
450D                              correct
500D                              correct
30D ?                             correct
40D ?                             correct
50D ?                             correct
5Dc                                correct

only MAX limit:
EOS M ?                          correct, as per the owner's manual
550D                              correct
600D                              correct
650D                              correct
60D                                correct
5Dmk2                           incorrect, 5Dmk2 has no auto ISO in M, ISO is automatically fixed at ISO 400 if the mode dial is switched to M when ISO was on "auto" before

MIN and MAX limit:
7D (maybe only after 2.x firmware update?)         Has auto ISO in M but only the max limit is adjustable
6D                                   correct
5Dmk3                            correct
*400Dplus

For 5Dc and other WxWorks cameras (digic II) maybe 400Dplus code can be ported. Also I want to try to force set auto iso in M mode on 5Dc but I have problem compiling it right now so I'm stuck.

scrax

Good, thanks.
But if 7D has only max ISO level can't explain me why Pel has implemented min and max value (shown in yellow under ISO AUTO) on his 7D photo info screen:

Corrected list for reference:
No AUTO ISO in M mode:
350D                             
400D*                           
450D                             
500D                             
1000D
30D                             
40D                           
50D                           
5Dc                               
5Dmk2                         

only MAX limit:
EOS M                         
1100D
550D                             
600D                             
650D                             
60D                               
7D       

MIN and MAX limit:
6D                                 
5Dmk3                           
*400Dplus

StefanKeller.AC

200 is minimum ISO with highlight tone priority activated, otherwise 100.
min=max=400 with flash,
max=1600 (not adjustable) in P-mode with attached speedlite in bouncing position 

nanomad

EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Buzzz57

I have a question regarding Auto ISO.
How is exposure controlled ?
In M mode without Auto ISO, everything is fixed and you can check the exposure level associated with your settings.
In Auto ISO, how does it work?

Francis

You set your aperture and shutter and the camera's meter decides what ISO is needed for a proper exposure.

scrax

Quote from: StefanKeller.AC on January 17, 2013, 08:09:36 PM
200 is minimum ISO with highlight tone priority activated, otherwise 100.
min=max=400 with flash,
max=1600 (not adjustable) in P-mode with attached speedlite in bouncing position
thanks, added also 1000D and 1100D

Buzzz57

Quote from: Francis on January 17, 2013, 09:56:27 PM
You set your aperture and shutter and the camera's meter decides what ISO is needed for a proper exposure.
And what if you don't want a "proper" exposure? What if you want to shift to the left or the right?

Francis

Buzzz57

OK. I thought there would be an option to set the exposure correction, as on Av and Tv modes.
Maybe an additional functionnality to add with Auto ISO. Don't you think?

wolt3r

I Would prefer auto ISO and max min shutter speed in Av mode.

Actually i don't know how it works in 5dIII, but here is the way how i think about it.

Aperture is manually controlled.
Shutter Speed lower limit is configurable manually or even better, it may automatically change together with lens mm with some offset of course. Sample- with 50mm focal length lower limit will be 1/80 (offset must be customizable).
Shutter Speed upper limit is configurable manually.

When metering pushes shutter speed to lower limit auto iso comes in.

It starts with Auto iso lower limit and goes up by 1/3 of f-stop until it reach Auto iso upper limit.

In this case exposure compensation will not work because auto iso will compensate it :)
So we need ISO compensation also. :) It will give place for flash:)
Not true :)

Maybe if shutter speed goes up really fast - swapping between indore/outdoors it can turn on High speed sync or even do not use flash.

Actually it looks like P mode just with controllable Aperture :)

5dc and 30d

Buzzz57

Quote from: wolt3r on January 18, 2013, 09:58:15 AMIn this case exposure compensation will not work because auto iso will compensate it :)
I don't follow you on this one.
in Av mode, with fixed ISO, shutter speed is set depending on the exposure correction. If speed is too low, Auto ISO would change the ISO 1 step up, check associated speed to have the selected exposure. If speed is still too low, ISO raises 1 more step,...etc

Why wouldn't exposure correction work ?

wolt3r

Quote from: Buzzz57 on January 18, 2013, 10:23:03 AM
I don't follow you on this one.
in Av mode, with fixed ISO, shutter speed is set depending on the exposure correction. If speed is too low, Auto ISO would change the ISO 1 step up, check associated speed to have the selected exposure. If speed is still too low, ISO raises 1 more step,...etc

Why wouldn't exposure correction work ?

You are right!  8) I missed that, it will work corectly! :)

I wonder maybe this can be useful - mode independent setting for automatic HSS turning on and off what depends on customizable Shutter Speed boundary. Sample - if Shutter Speed is lower than 1/200 then HSS goes off, if higher then on. What do You think about this?
5dc and 30d

stormy_weather

In an ideal implementation, you would have auto ISO in M and the possibility to use exposure correction. This would allow you to set shutter speed and aperture to your liking, i.e. if you both need a specific shutter speed because of subject movement and a specific aperture because of necessary depth of field. Typical applications are low light situations like theatre performances or indoor sports. With auto ISO in M, you can fix these values and still remain in an auto mode, because the camera will automatically adjust ISO to achieve a proper exposure.
In difficult lighting situations (like e.g. on a stage) you would also have the option to force over or under exposure (as compared to the metered value) by use of the exposure correction.
Pentax cameras have this since many years and I have used it myself many times. No longer having this was my biggest gripe after I moved to Canon.

If you want to refine that, you can add adjustable upper and lower limits for the ISO range in which auto ISO moves.

As you can see from the above list, Canon hasn't completely understood that  ;), but they are getting there...

Regards,

Sven