Canon 700d with ML or 750d (T6i)

Started by Lookn_4_More, June 08, 2016, 12:46:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lookn_4_More

Hi Guys,

I am a mature student with very little camera knowledge. I have to buy a camera from my course and have decided on the Canon range. This is a major investment for me so I want to get it right. I will be doing more video than photography in year 2 of Uni. and want value for money. So my question is do I buy the older Canon 700d and install ML or do I get the newer 750d which wont run ML. I need to get the advantage to the rest of my class due to the age gap, so I thought ML would give it to me.

Thanks for your help,

Dave

nikfreak

None of what you got in mind.
For video on low bufget you chose 50D or 7D1 (both no dualiso in video atm) - maybe a 5D2 once 5Dmk4 has been announced.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: nikfreak on June 08, 2016, 08:42:53 PM
None of what you got in mind.
For video on low bufget you chose 50D or 7D1 (both no dualiso in video atm) - maybe a 5D2 once 5Dmk4 has been announced.

+1

Also as long as you plan on shooting in 24p/25p/30p ... Your best bet would be the 7D (if you don't mind not being to use slo-mo in MLV RAW) unless you want to see aliasing/moire and whatnot but other than that it looks solid enough to get away with especially coming from a nine year old DSLR.

Still it would be a nice addition for you to play with while you're taking courses and also as I was able to scoop up a decent used 7D body for about $300 off Craigslist last year just for me to have as a back-up to 5D3.

Unless you want to fork out another $600 more or less for a younger four year old 5D2 which would obviously be a bigger upgrade plus you'll get FF which can be useful.

Basically it'll come down to your FOV preferences... APS-C or FF and then go from there in terms of budget.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Lookn_4_More

Thanks for all the feed back.
Buying second hand is not an option for me but I appreciate the advice. Im in Ireland and the cost of the T6i is going to be around $800 including shipping. That is my budget maxed out. 
So what I would like to read is a Yes or no simple reply if possible.
Do I buy the T6i aka 750D with NO ML or buy the older Canon 700D and install ML.

New or Old?

Thanks again.

Dave

romainkedochim

I'm gonna give you my 2 cents even though I haven't used either of these cameras.

The point here is to have a camera that is good enough to learn and for it to last long enough until you can afford better. i.e. When you're done studying.

I would go for the one that allows you to run ML, simply because it will bring a set of features to your DSLR that you would not be able to get otherwise.

I am the proud owner of 2x 5DmkII - but have no illusions, these were not originally thought out for video specifically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
5D MK2 - Lexar 800X 8GB

DeafEyeJedi

You say $800 was your budget or at least around that, right?

http://touch.adverts.ie/digital-cameras/canon-eos-7d-extra/10677297

Is this too far from where you are?

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Lookn_4_More

Lots of feedback from people who talk my language. Thanks for that. That ad looks good but over budget for me. I think I will buy the 700d as romainkedochim mentioned and ad the ML firmware. Then when i graduate in 3 more years sell it and get something better. Thanks for all the advice.