Magic Lantern for... Canon camcorders?

Started by JABA2, April 12, 2016, 05:02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JABA2

I couldn't find anything like that discussed here before, thus the new thread.
So, the other day I stumbled upon this page with a tool that decrypts firmware on many Canon camcorders. I was wondering - is it possible to make Magic Lantern run on Canon Vixia/Legria like the M line (M41/52/506/56)? They share the same sensor as some more expensive camcorders (for example, G10) but they lack many vital features like custom white balance (using Kelvin values) and full manual mode (only Aperture/Shutter priority).
Since hacks already exist for Canon point&shoots and DSLRs, it would've been great if ML could also be used on their camcorders.

Walter Schulz

Those are the Canon cams without port and nobody (AFAIK) working on it:
1200D
M2
750D/760D
7D2
80D
5DS/5DS R

And there are ports stalled by lack of maintainers/developers:
1100D
600D

And there are ports blindly maintained ...

If you will find someone able to spend several hundred hours porting a cam and the skills to do that (C and Assembler for embedded devices, preferable ARM architecture) and willing to do long term support ....

And I seriously doubt there is a common code base for DSLRs/EOS M and Canon's camcorders. Then same answer will apply as for EOS M3: Coding ML for these devices will require tons and tons of work and - at time of writing - there is no dev around willing to even think about it.

JABA2

Okay, I see. Then another suggestion. There are two types of Canon camcorders - Vixia (US/Japan) and Legria (Europe).
The difference between them is tricky: Legria supports 50i and 25p while Vixia supports 60i, 30p and 24p (!). The hardware in the camcorders is identical, so it's only the firmware that's different. Moreover, the firmware update on Canon website is also unified - it's the same file for both Legria and Vixia. The question is: is it possible to trick Legria camera (that doesn't have 24p mode) to think it's Vixia, and thus update the firmware of Legria camera to get 24p?