Inverted/Flipped/Rotate 180 video recording for Canon 5D Mk3

Started by StunningShot, March 30, 2016, 08:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StunningShot

Hi Magic Lantern Developers,

As this link (http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13308.msg128492#msg128492) discusses, I would like Magic Lantern (in particular for the Canon 5D Mk3, but it may be possible for all cameras) to have a setting whereby I can "tell" the camera to invert recorded video upside-down (or flip vertically, or rotate by 180 degrees).

Of course, this can be done after recording with various software on the computer. However, with the rise of the use of DSLRs for movie production, it is quite common for cameras to be mounted upside-down (for multiple reasons), or that some custom optics invert the image on the camera.

From my investigation, the standard Canon firmware does not have this feature, and I was hoping that the wonderful Magic Lantern developers might be able to help!   :)

From my limited experience with cameras and codecs:
1. The first method I would suggest may be possible is to adjust the "orientation" variable before the video data is written to the video file. This would then be codec independent.
2. If this is not possible, then perhaps once the video is recorded, a field in the movie header structure can be adjusted to tell media players which way to play the video. This field will be in a different location for every codec, so this would be quite a clumsy approach.

If no-one thinks it is worth devoting time to, then I would at least appreciate a few pointers. I have a selection of skills in this area, and with the help of developers, I may be able to do it myself with some time investment (although the probability that I have time to spare is low at this point).

Audionut

There's a million things on the todo list, so doing stuff that can (already) be done in post processing is way at the bottom of that list, or just won't get done.

The H.264 encoder is on a separate hardware chip that is not well understood, so I don't think this will even be possible at the moment without reverse engineering this chip further (not easy), but others may know better.

StunningShot

Thanks for your response, Audionut. I appreciate that there are many more important things on the todo list.

Thanks also for not just replying "no", but giving some information on why you think the task is difficult (if not impossible). That gives me a start for where to look if I try to solve this problem myself. Any other tips you or other users may think of will be duly appreciated.