Dual ISO test with 5d3

Started by kgv5, March 30, 2016, 10:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kgv5

Just a short test. I didnt use dualiso feature so often before but now i am more and more confident using it in some situations. I just used it wrong before with some extreme settings 100/3200, 100/6400 (despite the warning message :) so get too much of aliasing. In this test i used modest 100/800, there is aliasing and moire especially in power lines but it is not very distracting and i am very satisfied with quality and dynamic range. I exposted ETTR on the sky to avoid clipping, processed the files with cr2hdr and than did some grading in resolve 12. I lowered the highlights -100, shadows +100 and than raised the overall exposure + 3EV. I had to make some tweaking in nodes to avoid clipping in the bright sky after that.There was some noise in the shadows but i get rid of it with the neat video resolve plugin. I get a quite flat image so added some contrast and little bit of arri lut to the taste. And a film grain on top of that.
The sky was quite bright despite the clouds, with ETTR the car interior was very underexposed, without dual iso recovering of such amount of shadow information would be impossible.

By the way - in cr2hdr i couldnt drop more frames than 400ish, when i tried say 450 it gave me an error (name too long or something like that). So i had to process them by hand dropping 400 files, another next 400 files and so on. Is it possible to drop lets say 1500 frames on one time to have them processed overnight?

www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

Walter Schulz

Bulk issue: Are you running OS X?

kgv5

Walter Schulz

For convinience copy cr2hdr and associated files (exiftool, dcraw) to the files you want to process and run CMD from there (Shift key and select directory. Then select "Open command prompt here ..."). Run
cr2hdr.exe *.CR2

reddeercity

@kgv5 what platform ? PC or MAC
Well from the PC side  , I have tested two different dual ISO processing programs Barracuda_GUI for cr2hdr & MLVFS .
In barracuda_gui I tested about a 1:00 of raw video (1400 frames) from 5d2 and no problem to process , then imported in to resolve etc....
On the other hand MLVFS , yes dual ISO gets  processed with out any issue and the virtual directory can be imported in to resolve but the processing takes forever (painfully slow)
and if you try to copy the virtual Cdng's to a real directory  , you get about 400-500 frames then you lost the mount point & have to remount .
Maybe your problem ?

Edit: Barracuda_GUI is very Fast! take 16:00 min. to process 1400 frames .
Computer : AMD FX8350 OC to 4.9 Ghz ,  8GB Ram 1600mhz ,   dual GTX580 1.5GB cards ,Win7 Pro SSD.
Pin's the CPU's to 100%  .

Finally get to use  my old PC System Again  :P

kgv5

Thanks for the tips.

@Walter Schultz - i copied cr2hdr (from the first page), dcraw and exiftool to each directory, selected all files and dragged and dropped over cr2hdr. If i select over 400 something - i get the message. I will try to use CMD. I didnt check but maybe it has some issue with slimRAW - first i mounted MLVs with the old method and than compressed (and copied) all DNGs with losseless setting.

@reddeercity - i will try barracuda, thanks. I cannot use MLVFS unfortunatelly because of some problem with installing c++ visual runtime 2015 (crashes every time at the end of installation) so i had to stay for now with the old MLVs quick-mount method.