"The Season Of The Ghouls" - mostly 5DIII ML RAW

Started by cmfilm331, February 25, 2016, 04:26:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmfilm331

Just wanted to share a quick video I shot in the fall with a lot of Magic Lantern RAW footage from Canon 5D3.  The slow motion footage is from an a7S II, as well as a few of the super low-light street scenes of Halloween decorations, but majority of the video is 5DIII.

Processed via ACR, FilmConvert + Gorilla Grain applied in After Effects, final edit and color (via HyColour Pro) done in FCPX.  Lifted the blacks a bit and gave a lot of the scenes a greenish tint to the shadows to fit in with the strange aesthetic of the music and scenes I was filming.  Overall, wanted to achieve a lower contrast and less saturated look than my previous videos.  Went with a 1.66:1 aspect ratio and a mix of various 16mm film grain overlays from Gorilla Grain and CineGrain to achieve a 16mm-ish look (despite the Full Frame sensor).

Loving how the 5D3 can shoot at 1600ASA noise free and push to 3200-6400 easily in ACR.  I was able to achieve pretty much any street scene in Manhattan, even at night and the shadows stayed clean so I could lift them without worrying about much noise.

Started out looking to shoot an entirely Halloween-themed video, but it kind of morphed into more of an odd montage of Fall NYC street scenes in the end.