Forgot and formatted! A few questions

Started by Jyoti, January 14, 2016, 07:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jyoti

Hi.
I downloaded and installed ML a few hours ago and have been trying to find videos that elaborate how to use it and the menu for the 7D.
I saw just now that the nightly version has the same date as today. I don't know if I was lucky enough to download and install the same day it was released or whether that's always like that?

Anyway, I tried to make a time lapse through my window and then without thinking about it for formatted the card! It did say that it re-installed ML automatically and it does work but out of curiosity I checked the files and folders that are now on the card compared to the files you download from the website and they are not the same and more so when I hover on an option and click the info button it brings a message that says that I don't have help files.

Did I screw up?
Should I re-install ML and if so how?
How do I put the help files or whatever other files I'm missing and modules, etc?

And since I'm asking all these questions... is there a place / link / video that explains everything for this nightly for the Canon 7D ?

Thank you for your help

Walter Schulz

Help files were missing before and they are missing now. Nothing changed. Read in Downloads page:

====
What are the disadvantages of nightly builds?

- You may be running untested code. New developments now happen in branches, and what ends up in the nightly builds is usually tested by the developers on at least 2 or 3 camera models. However, we no longer have the time and resources to test every new feature on every camera model.

- Some features may not work as expected - please report bugs here.

- No documentation - the only help for new features is a small line of text, and ML source code.

- No guarantees - if it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
=====

dosmer

If no help files exist, well, okay, so they don't.
But then I think the on-screen text is very misleading.
I press DISP on my 550D and get:

Help files not found

Magic Lantern help files could not be found
Make sure all ML files are installed to your card
See http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/install for instructions

This led me to think that I had not installed all ML files, or that I had accidentally deleted some of them. And I've spent a long time looking for the missing files, trying if I could find a place to download them from. I have also spent time carefully reading everything at http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/install expecting to find instructions for the help files there, but failing to find anything. And I've spent time re-downloading and reinstalling, only to find that it made no difference.
And finally I come across this thread. It's a bit like, Ha-ha, April fool! There are no help files!

How about adding this text at the end:
Not all versions of Magic Lantern are supplied with help files, so if you still get this message, the best way to get help files may be to write them for us.