MLV Lite

Started by dmilligan, February 15, 2016, 03:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Well as you say, proxy is still useful. Tested a few lossless 12bit files and worked fine.

12georgiadis

Quote from: Danne on October 22, 2017, 03:05:41 PM
Well as you say, proxy is still useful. Tested a few lossless 12bit files and worked fine.
Danne, you mean lossless with sound ?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Danne

ErwinH

Good to hear that it works, Danne!

Still have a few issues to tackle. Especially the callback from mlv_snd and have a good look at the consistencychecks.

Danne

Of course, but a real good work in progress. Good work!

IDA_ML

LISTEN EVERYBODY!!!
===============

Thanks to ErwinH's and Danne's efforts, we have reached a milestone:

The 100D can now record CONTINUOUSLY with SOUND in the 8...11 bit lossless mode at 24fps and 1728x972 resolution in the NORMAL and the MOVIE CROP MODEs.  The files occupy about 2 GB/min on the card which is not too bad.

This means that with the 100D and external power, we can now record an entire rock concert with sound and RAW quality.  This is absolutely amazing!  You guys are a magitions!  Keep up the good work!

--------------------------------------------

This is my impression after running the first few tests.  I encourage other 100D owners to test and share their experience too. I will also keep testing as soon as I find some more time for that.

A question to Danne:
-----------------------
Will it be possible to enable sound at 5x magnification too?  This is where we get this unbelievable image quality with the 100D at 2520x1080 resolution, unfortunately with some hick-ups that hopefully will be fixed soon.

Danne

ErwinH

I've compiled builds for all the camera's that are supported by the crop_rec_4k branch. I haven't tested the 5D3 and 100D builds, but they should work fine.

https://bitbucket.org/ehoutsma/magic-lantern/downloads/

I've altered mlv_snd a little to send a callback to mlv_lite before starting the recording, or mlv_rec after starting the recording, so prerecording should in theory also work.

Danne

Don´t forget the eosm :)

ErwinH

Here you go!

Now let's bring in the feedback!

Lars Steenhoff

Tested on 5d Mark 3 firmware 1.2.3

Results:

mlv_lite with sound enabled 14 bits compressed raw : sound is good
mlv_lite with sound enabled 14 bits compressed raw + h264 : sound is static noise.

Lars Steenhoff

Sidenote :

I think it will be good to make the first frame of the h264 not black
for preview in the camera and in the finder. so the thumbnails are not black.

@Danne would you will be able to modify the scripts in switch to adjust for this if the would happen ?

Danne

It´s mainly a question if it´s possible with the c-code but it´s also gonna be some tinkering cutting the first frame then compensate for that frame to match with the rest of the cut footage etc. Quite a few situations to start messing with which in worst case scenario could break the script. So maybe apply KISS here.
Previews works in camera although need to wait for the black frames to dissapear and in finder you can view the files after cutting them.

IDA_ML

Quote from: Danne on October 23, 2017, 01:12:28 PM
Not me IDA_ML, it´s all @ErwinH work:

I am sorry, I missed that.  I have edited my post above and added ErwinH's name to the joint effort.

I forgot also to mention that the 100D MLV files with sound open and render nicely in MLV Producer v.3171 which is another bonus to all of us.  Render times to H.264 are really fast!

Lars Steenhoff

yes with preview in cam I meant the thumbnails, sorry for the confusion.

It can be a bit difficult without a thumbnail to find a certain shot in camera when look to playback footage after a few takes.
I agree with KISS. I also keep in mind the use case of being on the road and needing to show and actor a shot from a few takes back.   :)

I was also thinking it may be good now that we get sound in mlv, to make the black frames of the h264 optional in a menu setting. 
this may solve my issue too. just need to generate the proxies afterwards in switch from the MLV if I still wanted to have the a proxy workflow afterwards.

Danne

The black frames are cruicial to generate matched proxys in post. No match otherwise, but you knew that already :).

Lars Steenhoff

yea I know, just thinking out loud.  8)

These are the options I came up with:

1. Make the black frames optional via menu setting.  no change required in post apps. we can use the audio from the mov and the mlv for syncing :)
2. Make first frame not black, may be difficult todo and need change in post apps
3. Do nothing

I prefer option 1 right now.

ErwinH

I'd say, have a go at it :) That's the upside of Open Source. If you want something, you can do it yourself and share it with the community.

Lars Steenhoff

Well here's the black frame commit from Alex, I just don't know yet how to make it a menu item.

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/489a20fbd1f1dc8e7ec1521d3c5caa5392966772?at=crop_rec_4k

rob_6

ErwinH,

Awesome! Is this intended to possibly work in 12 bit lossless and 3k mode? If so, I am happy to test it out. Thanks!

Rob

12georgiadis

Wow thanks ErwinH for the work!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

ErwinH

You're welcome. It's something I needed, glad it's of value for you guys too!

Audio isn't exactly in sync. I've done some testing and it's not even consistently out of sync, but it's only a few frames, so that's a quick fix.

I haven't tested any modes for recording, just a few simple 16:9 non crop 11..8 bit lossless recording with audio, but please try every single combination and post the results!

Regarding the preview image, isn't it an option to sync based on black frames at the end of the recording? Might take a bit more time in post processing, but at least you get to keep the preview images.

Danne

QuoteRegarding the preview image, isn't it an option to sync based on black frames at the end of the recording? Might take a bit more time in post processing, but at least you get to keep the preview images.
Beginning and end of the file. Start H.264, then RAW. When raw starts the H.264 blackframes stops. At the end raw stops then H.264. Blackframes starts again after raw stops and then H.264 stops. This is my understanding.

ErwinH

I was just thinking out loud. Looking for an alternative option for the h264 preview images. However the first frame as normal image shouldn't be to hard for the camera either. It's just the post-processing that's a bit harder.

Lars Steenhoff

since we know the total amount of frames from the mlv file it should also be possible to caculate backwards from the last black frame right?

I still have to dig a bit more in the code of mlv_lite to see if I can manage to make a menu item with options. With my limited coding exoerience ( none really ) It may take a bit of time