best settings for ETTR on canon 7D for raw video?

Started by Brawl, February 09, 2016, 01:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brawl

I wish so much to try avoid vertical banding using this technique. The problem is that I really didn't understand how it works.

I'm good to load the module I wish to know so much how to setup correctly please.

I have found this post from another topic,

The 7D is one of the cameras, that really benefits from ETTR.

You can try shooting at ISO 800 for reduced banding noise, but you'll probably need an ND filter for most movie recording.

@Audionut if you walk around here it would be really great if you can explain a little bit of this technique please.

thx a lot!

Audionut

Higher ISOs have less banding noise, but you sacrifice highlights by using higher ISOs.  As with everything, it's a trade off.

If you're going to shoot at 1/24th or 1/48 or whatever @ ISO 800 in daylight, you're going to need a ND filter.

Brawl

Quote from: Audionut on February 10, 2016, 10:06:25 AM
Higher ISOs have less banding noise, but you sacrifice highlights by using higher ISOs.  As with everything, it's a trade off.

If you're going to shoot at 1/24th or 1/48 or whatever @ ISO 800 in daylight, you're going to need a ND filter.
Audionut thx a lot for your help!

how should it be the ND Filter please? I never bought one before and I do not know what should I search for.

may you give me some advice also to shoot in low light conditions please?

thx a lot again!

Ottoga

@brawl

I'd suggest a variable ND filter. google or search ebay for a variable nd filter for your lens. (58mm for the standard kit lens that came with the 7D).

it is also extremely useful for capturing full frame silent pics during in bright light environments.
EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.