Increasing Bitrate without going RAW

Started by Fishhy, February 03, 2016, 11:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishhy

Hello all,
first post here, tell me if i am not including something i should be, or if i am doing something wrong.
onto the post, now i am a film maker and i also produce TV, which is streamed over the internet from a full studio. i knew about magic lantern for ages but only recently started researching it, i love the fact of RAW video, but on a canon 70D it can't do full 1080p, which isn't the main thing, but i just dont like how short the recording times are. i understand why it is the case. but i would like to know if with magic lantern you can simply increase the bit rate to a custom bitrate, or any ways of improving quality while still being able to record for longer periods of time.
Thanks, if im forgetting any info let me know, i will either edit it in, or add it to the thread.

dfort

Increasing bitrate has been discussed numerous times. I haven't found it that useful but you can experiment with it. Here's a discussion that might answer your bitrate question.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7977.0

AFAIK only the 5D mark III can do 1080p raw video. Everyone else has to upscale but the results are still quite good compared with H.264.

Short recording times? Are you talking about doing longer than 30min? That isn't possible with H.264 and it isn't practical with raw video. There is a ML trick to restart recording but you do loose a second or so when it kicks in.

Walter Schulz

Just for info: There isn't a 30 min limit in RAW anymore.