Canon 700D Magic Lantern raw video - nature impressions

Started by Ichbissak, February 01, 2016, 07:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ichbissak

Hello :)

Ich filmed some impressions in nature with my Canon 700D using the Magic Lantern raw-mode. I think it's awesome how far you can go with raw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlbytnCcXyQ

dfort

Very nice. Mind sharing your post process? I'm especially curious how you dealt with the focus pixels on the 700D.

Ichbissak

I imported the raw files into After Effects and exportet it as AVI in 2K which is in my case 2048×872 (because I used a aspect ratio of 2,35:1). Exporting it in a much higher resolution than it was recorded helped me reducing the aliasing a lot. Later I edited it in Premiere and exportet it as H.264 in Full HD.

dfort

Interesting workflow. Upscaling in After Effects certainly seemed to help. Did you use the Detail Preserving Upscale feature in AE? Since you were shooting 2.35:1 what horizontal resolution were you working at? I know it maxes out at 1728 but the data rate is too high for continuous shooting. Finally, once again, how did you deal with the focus pixels? Was it just chroma smoothing? You said you used raw so were you using raw2dng? I've been up to my ears in focus pixels recently.

http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16054.msg

Ichbissak

No, I didn't use the Detail Preserving Upscale feature in AE. My horizontal resolution while fimling was 1536 pixels. I didn't have any problems with focus piexels since I converted the files with MLV Converter using chroma smoothing 2x2. Sometimes I have problems with colored dots or colored spots when there are bright shining or reflecting things in the video or bright sunlight between clouds. You can see this a little bit in my video at 0:22.

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Ichbissak on February 05, 2016, 06:18:49 PM
No, I didn't use the Detail Preserving Upscale feature in AE. My horizontal resolution while fimling was 1536 pixels. I didn't have any problems with focus piexels since I converted the files with MLV Converter using chroma smoothing 2x2. Sometimes I have problems with colored dots or colored spots when there are bright shining or reflecting things in the video or bright sunlight between clouds. You can see this a little bit in my video at 0:22.

Nice work especially upscaling in AE. I get those colored dots in bright areas or sunlight or anything reflective which are called "Focus Pixels" and our legend @dfort has been hard at work in getting this resolved.

Perhaps you can try this workflow once more time and apply his focus pixel fix and see if that makes the difference.

This would be a good experiment/comparisons for us all to witness ... Doncha think?

Thanks for sharing @Ichbissak
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

PabloW

That is some beautiful footage, thank you for sharing! May I ask you some questions about your workflow?

1) What resolution are you shooting with, and what are your overall settings on camera? Do you have skipped frames at some point or shoot continuously?

2) When you import the DNG sequence on AE to make the 2k AVI, do you grade the footage at that moment or do you just export it as it comes (flat) then grade in Premiere?