1D X II

Started by SiSS, January 30, 2016, 09:46:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SiSS

Here next week.

Speculation, leeks and rumors for specifications have been going for so long, that the list has tighten up.
Consensus seems to be that it'll arrive as 20.2MP camera.

Which is great. 2016 and the larger photosites of Alev III still rule the world. Also 5D3 which supposed to be overrun by now, is still more than relevant.
That 20MP suggest that the image out of this beast will be exceptional.

Now, 4k with CFast cards, the RAW from 1DX II would be amazing.

Which brings us back to the dead horse.
(Yes I've read the old posts).

Allegedly, Canon once tread with legal action against ML if touching 1D, this of couse was probably just internet horse shit.
Also one argument for not going for 1D X ML was that only for few ML users would have that, so it wasn't worth it(?!)
And lastly, who would provide expensive camera for ML testing?

Well, many who are still in the game, are thinking of going the next level cameras anyway.
Also, we got linux now! MLVProducer! It's exploration, science! And what was the original thought behind ML...

So... I know you are interested.  ;)

P.S. Please no lazy replies about Apertus Axiom. That's nothing away from ML.

Walter Schulz

Devs decided some time ago not to mess with Canon's pro gear. You will never see ML for 1D and C. Period.

g3gg0

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

budafilms

Danne

Levas

No doubt 4K ML raw would be amazing
Now some numbers ;D
4096 x 2160 resolution in 24 frames per second in 14 bit raw = 3000Mbps
That is about 0.4GB per second, 22 GB for 1 minute video  :D
Anyone who is planning to go over the 30 minute recording time limit needs to find a compact flash card with 1024GB of memory  :P

SiSS

Well i'm not planning for 30 minute takes  ;)
But yeah maybe few years more before 4k raw pipeline.
Still i'd like to start testing :)

goldenchild9to5

This camera looks really promising.. now with this camera announced will it be the end for the 1Dc don't see how it would come back from those 1Dx specs unless it has internal 4k RAW recording. 

SiSS

That 5999$ doesn't in fact sound that bad. I was expecting lot more (just compare to Leica).
Raven will set you back about 12000 euros before it's in working order, but this ones going to be better for most of the time...

Newsshooter has nice Hands On test, including Canon Australias video capablities test
http://www.newsshooter.com/2016/02/02/canon-launch-4k-eos-1d-x-mkii-professional-dslr-we-go-hands-on-testing-the-touch-screen-af/

Goodbye clumsy Follow Focus
https://vimeo.com/153889003

EOS-1D X Mark II 4K Video Capabilities Test With Abraham Joffe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p67plTeMyD8

B&H Photo has another Hans On as seen in canonrumors
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3U4XBqfCPk

kgv5

I cannot find this info anywhere: is 1080p 100/120fps mode cropped like a7sII or C300markII or is it still full frame image? The only crop they mention is 1,3x with 4K.

EDIT: 120fps is full frame, no crop. Great :)
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

reddeercity

Official Canon Video

Join Canon U.S.A.'s Technical Advisor Brent Ramsey as he introduces the video features of the EOS-1D X Mark II camera.
In this video, he discusses features such as the 4K capture, movie Frames Per Second, resolutions, JPEG frame grabs,
Dual Pixel CMOS Autofocus, and more!

I give 2 Thumbs up !

KelvinK

Form factor isn't the best for travel cinema camera :)  4k with MJPEG will need re-encoding for on-fly edit and 60p files will be so huge - bigger & expensive CFAST2 cards needed.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

mothaibaphoto

And mjpeg is the only way to get 4k out of it, since HDMI HD only :)
Canon at it's best :)

SiSS

HDMI at it's best.
Sure you can do it, but why? CFast good enough for Amira and Alexa Mini.
4K recorders ain't the freeride either.
And if you're in such a hurry, shouldn't HD be enough... I mean 4K is just 4k, why not buy GH4 or iPhone.

The proper way is 6G-SDI and that's a different price bracket.

I love that CFast card!
We have to have that in the next 5D -camera.

SiSS

P.S. What is a "travel cinema camera" anyway?

nikfreak

Am I wrong or is Canon in need to announce also some pro-lenses featuring IS & STM? 24-105 IS STM wouldn't really fit the body in terms of quality, right?
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

KelvinK

Quote from: SiSS on February 03, 2016, 08:31:12 PM
P.S. What is a "travel cinema camera" anyway?

7DM2 with non-existed MLRAW installed :)
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

DjJuvan

Why the hell does it have cropped (1.3x) image when shooting 4K. :(
This could really be perfect allrounder photo/video camera.

KelvinK

All around brick 1.5kg? oO :)
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

DjJuvan

Currently I'm using a7s with atomos shogun and this aint easy too (sony npf970 battery weights alot). But much more clumsy because of cables and short life of batteries from sony. Tell me, what's better then? :)

itsDPmikey

If the 5D Mark4 does not have Cfast option, then it's going to be an absolute shit situation. I'm pretty sure it will have 4K option with only 24fps probably.

But even if we get raw 2.5k continuous shooting on CFast card in 5DM4 with all the current features it will be amazing. Till this day I can't seem to find a an MLbuild that doesn't produce bad frames or frame skipp even with 1080p 24fps on fastest CF card. Drives me bananaZZZ!
I love this &^*$ MAN!

Walter Schulz

Quoting you about 4 days ago:
" I downgraded to 1.1.3 from 03/27/2014 and everything just works BEAUTIFULLY!"

itsDPmikey

Quote from: Walter Schulz on February 28, 2016, 07:41:44 PM
Quoting you about 4 days ago:
" I downgraded to 1.1.3 from 03/27/2014 and everything just works BEAUTIFULLY!"

yes until 2nd and 3rd shoot I started to see some issues again. So I upgraded back to 1.1.3 latest build. It's w.e at this point, too frustrating to care anymore. Just going to shoot regular until I buy a red dragon. I just can't risk getting bad frames on a professional job when time matters and reshooting is not possible.
I love this &^*$ MAN!

extremelypoorfilmaker

If anyone who is using magic lantern chipped in with £10 each we could buy a C100 and a C300 to the devs to develop Magic Lantern for those cameras.. And then we could share them! :D

Spoiler alert: I am joking

Kharak

Quote from: itsDPmikey on February 29, 2016, 01:28:51 AM
yes until 2nd and 3rd shoot I started to see some issues again. So I upgraded back to 1.1.3 latest build. It's w.e at this point, too frustrating to care anymore. Just going to shoot regular until I buy a red dragon. I just can't risk getting bad frames on a professional job when time matters and reshooting is not possible.

Try disabling ML Focus Peaking and set RAW zebras to OFF while recording.

You can still use Focus Peaking from Digic Peaking and add 7+ Sharpness. None of which will be in the final image.
once you go raw you never go back