Help a noob! Volume way down with external mic

Started by RTW_kat, January 29, 2016, 11:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RTW_kat

Please help!

I've got a Canon 550D, and I just installed ML to disable the AGC, which worked fine. But now when I attach my Rode Videomic, the volume is way way low. I can hear a little volume if I raise the digital gain way up but it sounds awful (I'm checking the audio by moving my SD card to my computer, listening through headphones).

Please advise, totally new to this.

Thanks!

PaulHarwood856

Hello RTW_kat,

To my knowledge, the T2i has AGC disable in the Canon menu, whereas in my case for the T3i, it was only possible with adding Magic Lantern.

Have you tried Analog Gain? Or Mic Boost? You don't want to touch digital gain, unless you need to hear the audio while monitoring with headphones. Even then I would suggest some sort of headphone amplifier in that case. You could combine the headphone amplifier with the Sescom 550D/7D cable which is a usb to 3.5mm female that allows you to monitor audio while recording on the T2i (I'm pretty sure this is the case, but then again I have a T3i, might be slightly different). Also, it is very important to record in levels of -12 db ranging to -6 db.

I hope this helps, and please let me know if you have any questions or additional help.

- Paul Harwood

ItsMeLenny

The rode videomic is quiet when used directly into the camera. It has no boost or amplifier.
The rode 'videomic pro' has a +10db on it (probably because of the problems you are having).
You could get some sort of an amplifier to put between the camera and the mic.
Otherwise, put your analog volume all the way up, put your microphone on 0db, and boost in post.

PaulHarwood856

Hey RTW_kat,

Thanks to ItsMeLenny, I just thought of another idea. If you don't have enough money for the Rode VideoMic Pro, you can purchase the Irig Pre and a few accessories based on DSLR Film Noob's video on youtube. Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io-JR3aUqII This will boost your mic's signal over the AGC and give a similar boost like the Rode VideoMic Pro. I hope this helps!

- Paul Harwood