A Puppy in a Blizzard

Started by kbb77, January 29, 2016, 03:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kbb77

Hello all!

First, I want to thank everybody who has contributed into making this wonderful firmware!!

I just got my first 5D Mark III at the beginning of the month, and I've read as much as I could from the forums.  I probably spent an evening learning about the installation process, then another evening learning about the raw video.  With so many different .MLV workflows, it gets to be a bit confusing after actually shooting the video.  My first test yielded a lot of noise and magenta, but that issue was quickly resolved with the "fix black level".

I live in Virginia, in the area hit hardest by this most recent blizzard, and my dog absolutely loved it.  I kind of figured he would, so I decided to test raw video and the glidecam that I had just received the day before the storm.  Considering the conditions that I was shooting in, which was a blizzard during the day and quite dark at night, the results that I was able to achieve on my first real attempt are just incredible!

Gear used:

5D Mark III
Canon 16-35mm f4 (day shots)
Rokinon 24mm f1.4 (night shots)

From when my dog Fenway enters the scene up through about 1:30 were supposed to be slow motion.  I shot them at 48 fps, but was struggling to actually translate that into a 50% slow-down.  Whenever I would import that DNG sequence into resolve or after effects, it seemed to automatically import it at 30 fps.  Even when added to a 24 fps composition, it was still running too quickly.  For example, the first scene I shot was 636 frames, so it should have been 26.5 seconds long at 24 fps.  However, it always ended up being 21.2 seconds (which would be 30 fps).  I ultimately just left it at whatever resolve wanted to give me.

My workflow is MLVFS, which creates a temporary directory.  It seems like I cannot just copy all of the folders from that directory, though.  I have to open each folder, copy that set of DNG's into another folder that I've created, and do that for each set of DNG's.  Is this the only option?  It usually ends up in me needing to be present in 3-7 gb transfers, so open a folder, move them, wait about 3 minutes, repeat.

Once I have the DNG's, I import them into resolve, grade them, export them as proxies, load them into premiere, stretch (for slow-mo clips), edit, stabilize, and export.  A lot of workflows I've seen are resolve to premiere and back to resolve for grading.  When I tried that route the first time, it seemed that the stabilization was lost in the roundtrip.  Any suggestions to better my workflow?

Thank you all!

Kendall

cmccullum

This was nice to watch. Definitely made me smile! Only thing I can really give help on is the slowmo footage. In the premiere menus somewhere there's an option for "indeterminate media time base" or something like that. Find that and set it to 24 (or whatever your project is) and then import the dngs. Alternatively, you can right click the dng sequence in the project menu, and select interpret footage (it may be under modify I can't remember exactly) and set the frame rate there. The latter option works with any kind of footage

Keep shooting!