T3i SD card

Started by photowlf, January 25, 2016, 06:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

photowlf

Hi new to the forum, Im using the T3i for video production and downloaded the first step V32 I think it is.
When I went to take out the sd card magic lantern went away eventually the camera went black but after taking the battery out it was fine. Do you have to leave the SD card in to use ML and if so, How do you download the nightly if you can't take the SD card out.

On a second note I can get a great deal on a 60d. Should I keep using the T3i or is the 60d that much of an upgrade.

Cheers,
Photowlf

Walter Schulz

Remove card with ML active: The worst you can do. Really, really messy and dangerous.

Turn off cam, wait. Open card compartment. Wait! Remove card.

photowlf

Ok, then put the nightly one in the camera

Walter Schulz

And nothing happens ... right?

photowlf

no the camera still works its just all of the ML is gone and its back to normal

Walter Schulz

You should go
Top of page -> User Guide

photowlf

Ok I see what needs to be done but I guess my other question is di I always need to leave the SD card in with all the info from the download or can I take it out and use any card I need.

Cheers,
photowlf

axelcine

It's like a marriage. ML exists on the SD card, Canon's firmware exists "in" the camera. those two married souls perform excellent together (because the bootflag in-cam tells Canon's firmware to look out for the other half of the happy union).

Put ML on ALL your SD cards for that particular cam - you can transfer ML/Settings folder from one card to the other. Card without ML equals: Mom's out of town.

Cards ML'led for one cam will not work if inserted in another brand of Canon (5D3 ML won't run on a 5D2 or a 700D.)

Now go get your cam married - it needs a life too!
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

photowlf

So probably the best thing to do is get a couple of high memory sd cards and just use it   with that camera

axelcine

EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass