Limits be gone.

Started by 1%, July 25, 2012, 06:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g3gg0

for all cameras:

http://upload.g3gg0.de/pub_files/f23cf5caa18af51a912658eac3834ce4/autoexec.bin
(removed some of my bad-ass hacks in the startup code, so it is stock init code again ;) )

it will scan for the MovieRecorder object in memory and display the memory addresses it found in the top line.
in the second line you will see the maximum and current file size.
the file size will get patched for 16GiB limit. (0x3FFFFFFFF)

maybe it works for other models than 600D.

WARNING: Make sure you use exFAT filesystem.
Beware! Your files, your card or even your CAMERA may get damaged

(although i dont think your camera will take any damage)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

scrax

How to make the EXFAT card to load ML, I can't make it bootable so far...
Ok, found maybe: http://www.zenoshrdlu.com/macboot/macboot.html
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

g3gg0

magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

scrax

Quote from: g3gg0 on August 05, 2012, 03:09:11 AM
use this:
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/EOScard
I'm on mac, but solved and about to update make_bootable.sh found this also: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/ml-devel/EWHU5ukyMt4/eAIeNAt9pl4J
it should be added to the source...

in the end used  macboot, now trying it.

EDIT:
recorded a 6Gb file, i can see it till 8:27 then image freeze but video is still played (no audio recorded)
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

ilguercio

I formatted my 8GB CF card as exFAT and made it bootable with EOS card but the camera does not recognize it as properly formatted.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

scrax

Quote from: ilguercio on August 05, 2012, 06:11:11 AM
I formatted my 8GB CF card as exFAT and made it bootable with EOS card but the camera does not recognize it as properly formatted.
50D supports exfat?

ilguercio

Quote from: scrax on August 05, 2012, 06:40:25 AM
50D supports exfat?
I guess not :D
Recording limits are not my main concern but if there is a way to get around them, why not?
Have you had any success yet?
What if you disable sound? (just a thought)
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

1%

Ok, I'm going to mess with it now. Finally have some time :)

Michael Zöller

I know this is not a wishlist, but if possible, a multi-file solution that works through modifying the file pointer would probably be a better solution considering many camera do not support exFAT.
neoluxx.de
EOS 5D Mark II | EOS 600D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 | Tascam DR-40

1%

Headers are likely incorrect. Decoding freezes in most players and tools because MOV and AVI containers seem to behave poorly with files over 4gb, esp as written. The actual stream data is fine and I can scrub it in avidemux. I'm trying to figure a way to save it without causing problems. In avi mode it splits it automatically but files are unplayable. In mp4 mode I have the same problem... but the data IS there and valid.

I cannot seek or go frame by frame (after 4gb) but if I scrub with the mouse it works and I can stop on any frame. The file doesn't seem to want to work sequentially.

Malcolm Debono

Does the autoexec.bin above (reply 25) work with the 60D? If so, I'm willing to try it out.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

1%

He said all cameras and its the size of a unified so I assume so... .G3gg0 isn't using movie remap?

g3gg0

hi,

thanks for testing!
i hoped that the solution for the models with exFAT support would be just increasing the max size.
so we would have a clean solution for these cameras.
unfortunately we now face a MOV issue with 4GiB files. annoying :(

so the next step is to analyze the MovieRecorder object and file writing routines to find
a sane location where to add multi-file support.
this is more than just remapping file pointer to another file, since then we would end up with
the same problems as we have with exFAT now: MOV-container issues later when merging the files.

we actually have to clean up and close the file properly and then reopen the next movie file for writing.
this is more a MovRec StateObject issue.

1%

I can't get anything to "fix" the file. I'll keep trying tho.

3pointedit

It's funny as I was just looking at a 5+Gb h264 .mov file the other day. Didn't have an issue playing it from memory. It was created by the compressor we have at work. So I guess 4+gb files are valid for QT.
550D on ML-roids

Malcolm Debono

I can't figure out how to record a longer video on a 60D. Card is formatted in exFAT and used EOScard to make it bootable. ML runs fine and I can see the text after clicking the 'Don't click me' button (before starting recording). However, I'm still getting the 'recording has been stopped automatically' error after around 13 minutes. Sound is also disabled.
C100 & 6D shooter

g3gg0

Quote from: Malcolm Debono on August 06, 2012, 11:13:33 AM
I can't figure out how to record a longer video on a 60D. Card is formatted in exFAT and used EOScard to make it bootable. ML runs fine and I can see the text after clicking the 'Don't click me' button (before starting recording). However, I'm still getting the 'recording has been stopped automatically' error after around 13 minutes. Sound is also disabled.

how big was the file you recorded?

did the line show:
    max: 0x3FFFFFFFF cur: 0x000(counting up)
?

Malcolm Debono

It did. Both files are 3.98gb

Edit: tried it again. Max is increasing while curr is staying the same.

Don't know if it's relevant, but I'm using a Sandisk 16gb card.
C100 & 6D shooter

g3gg0

what is "cur" saying exactly?

Malcolm Debono

It remains a bunch of zeros.
C100 & 6D shooter

g3gg0

okay thanks, will update the demo firmware tonight,
i guess, we are just off a few bytes in the target structure.

Malcolm Debono

C100 & 6D shooter

g3gg0

sorry, didnt have time tonight. will try this night.

Malcolm Debono

C100 & 6D shooter

1%

Its not off on 600D is it? I guess I'll have to hex edit the files and see what happens at the break.