Limits be gone.

Started by 1%, July 25, 2012, 06:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g3gg0

will check the 60D firmware these days. i made that patch for 600D, but didnt test 30 minute limit yet ;)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

1%

I already tried e's, F's and properly written integer like you put. When I drop the time down the recording doesn't stop sooner. Can't find any other spot where the limit would be. I recorded black so the camera is not overheating nor crossing 4gb.

3pointedit

Given that SD video (640x480) can record for longer (especially recording black), I guess there is a kill switch in there somewhere for that EU regulation.
550D on ML-roids

JDługosz

Howdy.  I have a 60D and I'm specifically interested in the >4GB movie feature.  Would whoever tried this on the 60D before please let me know if it worked, and share the build?

—John

PKVariance

A question about accepting the 4GB video limit and the possibility of seamless recording stop and start - do you guys think that PicoC could be used to create a script that would start a new file in the background at a preset limit; say 12 or 13min, and then continue recording? Or would it be too much to run the video record and script at the same time?

Thanks

1%

There is one piece of encoder hardware and one LV buffer. Its already seamless over 4gb, new cameras just cut it up afterwards... was kind of disappointing.

PKVariance

Ah, so let me see if I understand this (I'm trying to educate myself) - is it the fact of the single encoder and buffer that causes ML to lose a couple of seconds in between stop/start?

And I'm not sure I get the idea of "new cameras just cut it up afterwards"...would you mind a bit of explanation?

Thanks

1%

You lose the seconds when the dat is being turned into a file you can play. You see a flurry of write activity after you press stop... this is what's happening. You can't just start another file in the background, the encoder has to be reinitialized to know where to write, etc.

New cameras split up the movie and convert it at the end. They're a little quicker so the gap is less. Someone with DigicIV timecode should measure the gap vs digicV.

The only way to be truly seamless would be to break the 30 minute limit and keep writing to the same file.

PKVariance

I'm definitely starting to get it now - thanks for the explanation, that was quite helpful. I appreciate you taking the time.

I have a 60D - how can I measure the gap? I'll certainly make the attempt if it would be at all helpful.

Datadogie

Try recording a digital stopwatch.  Like this maybe.  http://www.online-stopwatch.com/
T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.

PKVariance

That makes sense - for some reason I thought it would be something more involved -  :P

Thanks

PKVariance

2 clips at 1920, 24fps, 1/47, default bit rate. I started the timer several seconds in; last frame of first clip was at 12:11.58, the first frame of the second clip was at 12:13.00. So, 1.42 seconds on DIGIC 4.

1%

Gotta test on digic V but wow... its only ~2 seconds.

blade

Quote from: PKVariance on March 15, 2013, 07:17:49 PM
2 clips at 1920, 24fps, 1/47, default bit rate. I started the timer several seconds in; last frame of first clip was at 12:11.58, the first frame of the second clip was at 12:13.00. So, 1.42 seconds on DIGIC 4.

I beleve ( oldo I am only awake for 10 min ) that I spotted a calculation error
13:00 - 11:58. = 01:02 seconds. And not 01:42. Or was it a typo?
eos400D :: eos650D  :: Sigma 18-200 :: Canon 100mm macro

Rush

Quote from: blade on March 16, 2013, 08:39:45 AM
I beleve ( oldo I am only awake for 10 min ) that I spotted a calculation error
13:00 - 11:58. = 01:02 seconds. And not 01:42. Or was it a typo?
There is 100 msec in 1 sec. Not 60.
Greetings from Russia!

blade

eos400D :: eos650D  :: Sigma 18-200 :: Canon 100mm macro

PKVariance

Quote from: 1% on March 16, 2013, 04:23:22 AM
Gotta test on digic V but wow... its only ~2 seconds.

That was my reaction as well - just for fun , I timed the stop/restart method of pressing the record button twice during filming and can't get much better than around 5 seconds. One of the many reasons to love ML...

InFocusAV

Where are we at with the 600D and recording longer than 12 minutes or 4 GB?  It seems like we still don't have a stable release?  I read the first two pages and the last one.  My church is looking to purchase a dslr in a particular price range (used t3i price range) but my pastor wants to be able to safely and soundly record for longer than 12 or 4GB.  Any help is much appreciated.  I personally have a 650D but I'm really shooting for this one listing on ebay for a t3i with a shoulder rig.

Rush

Quote from: InFocusAV on April 24, 2013, 12:53:22 AM
I personally have a 650D but I'm really shooting for this one listing on ebay for a t3i with a shoulder rig.
For real, you can record up to 30 mins even without ML if you have DIGIC V camera. 650D is DIGIC V. It will split video automatically in 4 GB parts.

With this topic's ML you can record up to 30 min in one file without splitting on 600D.
Greetings from Russia!

InFocusAV

Quote from: Rush on April 24, 2013, 01:01:16 AM
For real, you can record up to 30 mins even without ML if you have DIGIC V camera. 650D is DIGIC V. It will split video automatically in 4 GB parts.

With this topic's ML you can record up to 30 min in one file without splitting on 600D.

How easy is the transfer to the computer?  My church edits with iMovie (I know...) so I might have to convert the files for them but I'm dealing with volunteers that don't know much. Do I have to format my sd card for exfat?

1%

600D:
Record with hacks, trasfer to SD card, rewrite movie with eosmoviefixer

650D:
Transfer to Sd card.. much easier. Benefit to the 600D is audio controls and crop mode. Things that probably don't matter to volunteers at a church.

InFocusAV

Quote from: 1% on April 24, 2013, 03:03:55 AM
600D:
Record with hacks, trasfer to SD card, rewrite movie with eosmoviefixer

650D:
Transfer to Sd card.. much easier. Benefit to the 600D is audio controls and crop mode. Things that probably don't matter to volunteers at a church.

Define "hacks." Also, is eosmoviefixer a free program or can I just throw all clips on a timeline and put them back to back?  How are the audio controls on the 600D better than on the 650D? Thank you for the help.

1%

My builds had the "over 4gb" hack. G3gg0 made the program to fix the movies so they would play back. You rewrite them and THEN they go in the time-line.

600D has audio monitoring and full IC control. 650D is still brand new ML territory.

InFocusAV

Quote from: 1% on April 24, 2013, 03:48:04 AM
My builds had the "over 4gb" hack. G3gg0 made the program to fix the movies so they would play back. You rewrite them and THEN they go in the time-line.

600D has audio monitoring and full IC control. 650D is still brand new ML territory.

How long does it take to "rewrite them" in this program.  The simpler the better.  IC? I cant wait for ML on the 650D for audio monitoring but I thought you were referring to stock attributes.  I'm really leery of getting the t3i because I have to be able to train everyone on DSLR shooting AND ML which I'm not extremely keen on and don't know the buttons and quick keys for it.  Money's always a problem.

1%

I guess as fast as your hard drive writes.

Stock 650D will cut the 30minute clip into 4gb sections without any processing.