Rack focusing not working in Canon T5i

Started by rlight, January 07, 2016, 05:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlight

I've just installed magic lantern on a canon t5i (700D) equipped with a EF-S 55-250mm lense but I cannot get the rack focus feature to work. After I set the focus end point and enter the focus end point screen in order to set the start point, I try to use the arrow buttons to increase or decrease the steps for the focus start point, however, doing so doesn't change the focus of the camera at all. The lense is set to autofocus as I understand that it should be.

I would appreciate any help or advice as to how I can get the arrow buttons to properly adjust the focus for the focus start point with this camera and lense.

Thank you for any helkp with this!
Rick

Walter Schulz

Focus -> Follow focus -> Arrows.
Half press shutter button.

rlight

Thank you for your suggestion Walter, however, that is the setting that I'm using. When pressing the arrows the number of steps in the on screen text do actually increase or decrease but the actual lense isn't changing focus at all.

Is there something else that I should be doing?
Rick

Walter Schulz

Cam off -> Cam on -> Liveview. Arrow keys visible (FF+ left, FF- right, FF++ top, FF-- bottom)?
Try to shift focus with arrow keys. Is this part working?

rlight

Hello Walter. I have followed your instructions and the arrow keys are visible on screen (FF+ left, FF- right, FF++ top, FF-- bottom) but pressing the arrow buttons causes no change in the actual focus on screen. However, when they are pressed the light in the bottom right side of the camera body lights up to show the button is engaging.

Rick

Walter Schulz

Old EF-S 55-250 IS or newer EF-S 55-250 IS STM?
I have the older design and use Focus Settings
Step Size 2
Step Delay 10ms
Step Wait ON

To make sure: You are using those 4 buttons surrounding SET button? Try focussing first with shutter half pressed and use those buttons after. Do you have tried to reset ML to default settings and disabled continuous AF in Canon menu?

rlight

Dear Walter:

The lens that I'm using is the newer EF-S 55-250 IS STM. However, thanks to your advice I've been able to get it working! I disabled the Movie Servo AF setting in the canon menu and now it works. Thank you so much for your assistance Walter. I really appreciate it and I hope that you have a great day!

Rick

Walter Schulz

Glad to hear you made it happen! This whole Focus Stacking/Rack Focus thing resembles some early video game with traps, riddles and hidden dungeons.

Not that much of a day left here. But I'm having a great time watching a documentary about Jack Cardiff.

rlight