CF Cards ML load

Started by CS Hunter, January 02, 2016, 08:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CS Hunter

My Komputer Bay 64GB 1066x CF card has been running ML on my Canon 5DmkII for the past 4 weeks. I bought a second card, a Komputer Bay 64GB 1000x, installed the same ML files onto the second card that I installed on my first card but ML will not load from this new card. Any ideas or suggestions? 

Walter Schulz

Reading FAQ and Installation Guide would be just fine.

Run Firmware upgrade once again with new card.

CS Hunter

I've read FAQ's and installation guide several times.

My camera has the latest Canon firmware and a nightly build from a few weeks ago that seems to be working just fine. I don't understand why running canon firmware again or ML build # has anything to do with adding a second memory card to my productions.

I did the same process for the second mem card as I did for the first one a few weeks ago.

How will another firmware upgrade to the same firmware make the new card work? What am I missing here?

Walter Schulz

ML needs three things to run:
- Cam's bootflag set (check)
- Bootable card (oops!)
- ML files on card (check)

During startup cam with bootflag set will look for a bootable card (your second is not). If a bootable card is found it will try to load autoexec.bin. If card is not bootable there is no way to find and load autoexec.bin during startup.
Firmware upgrade using a card with ML's FIR file will set the cam's bootflag and will make the card bootable. If you don't want to use firmware upgrade option you may use tools like MacBoot, EOScard or makebootable.sh to make card bootable.

If you format the card using a cardreader you will be left with a non-bootable card because Windows/OS X standard format routines will remove this option. Same will happen after formatting the card in a non-ML enabled cam or running format in a cam where ML is surpressed by using the SET button or using the "remove ML" option in format menu in a cam running ML.

CS Hunter

Ok, thank you. I will try again from the top. Lots to learn here...

CS Hunter

Ok, New card is working. I understand now. I had copied the ML folder and the autoexec.bin onto the new card thinking that was all the card needed to work. I thought the "5D2_212.fir" was a Canon firmware update, which I knew I had already run on my camera a month ago when I setup ML with the first card, so I did not include the .fir on the 2nd card. I missed in understanding that the "5D2_212.fir" file is a ML firmware upgrade, not a Canon 212 firmware update, and that it's required to be re-run with each new card in order to boot ML from that card...

So a few new questions arise:
- Is any ML data stored in the camera at all? (I think not but not sure).
- When running this .fir file from the new card - did it change my ML settings that I've edited over the past month?
- or I'm figuring all my ML config settings are only included on the CF card and not on any memory inside the camera itself? 
- When I go back to my 1st mem card, will it remember my customized settings?
- When I swap memory cards I will need to insure that all my ML camera settings are the same on each card to get consistent results?

I remember reading something about saving settings & config files... I'll have to learn that next, then I assume copy that config file to all my ML cards.

Thanks for the assist.

Walter Schulz

ML settings are stored in ML\Settings.

budafilms

@CS Hunter

Why don't you try for yourself if the settings are saving after change cards?

DeafEyeJedi

It should be the same settings if you transferred over the ML files from one card to another @CS Hunter!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

CS Hunter

Ok cool thanks @DeafEyeJedi I transferred the original downloaded files, before I changed them on my 5D, so the 2nd card wouldn't have my new settings, but I think I understand how this all works now, all ML data being on the CF card not on 5D etc.
I'm new to this process. I am trying a lot of things on my own right now @budafilms, from building a new rig, researching and picking every component, testing lenses, testing cf cards, finding converters, testing converters, working out my preferred post processes, trouble shooting everything at once etc. just trying to get excellent hand held shots. It's a lot to figure out all at once that's why I jumped on this forum and ask for assist along the way. I'm getting there. Thx.