Quick Zoom on Focus Peak

Started by glb2012, July 24, 2012, 04:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glb2012

Is it possible to set Quick Zoom to 100% view displaying the biggest portion of the focus peak centered in the LCD?
On my 5D2, for portraits photos I use manual focus through the viewfinder (with EG-S focus screen) outside the centre or any other focus points.

That option would give me a quick check to see if I got the focus where I wanted (the eyes should be on the centre of the LCD regardless of active focus points.

Tks

a1ex

As long as the peaks are concentrated in one place, it will work.

For now, you can set quick zoom to remember last position (this is my preferred settings) - and as long as you use the same focus point for a couple of consecutive shots, it will work just fine.

3pointedit

That sounds like a cool idea, but what if you are hunting focus for a subject across the field of view? Would the zoom travel across the image following the most significant region of peak value?
550D on ML-roids

a1ex

If you simply average the peaks position, as long as you have them concentrated in a single blob, it will work.

If you have more blobs and you do blind averaging, it will zoom somewhere between the blobs (on a defocused area).

I think it works best if we do some kind of clustering first, and zoom on the biggest cluster. Or maybe toggle between clusters somehow.