Magic Lantern Video controls

Started by Duncan123, November 17, 2015, 11:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duncan123

Guys

There is an up and coming branch of Astrophotography where video files are separated into individual frames and stacked to produce a higher quality image with low noise etc .
Normally this is done at a very high frame rate to eliminate " seeing " effects , BUT more recently there have been a few images of Deep Sky objects ( very dim) produced by taking videos at a slow frame rate but relatively long exposure , say 1/2 sec exposure or more per frame and then stacking these .
Before I port ML on to my modified Canon camera does ML support slow frame rates but long exposures  IE 2 frames per sec at 0.5 sec per frame ? And if so , at this frame rate will the camera hold the shutter open for the duration of the video as in Live view , or will it try and close the shutter at the end of each frame ?

Duncan

mothaibaphoto

2 frames per sec at 0.5 sec per frame is OK, but not at maximum sensor resolution. Actual max resolution depend on camera model. Yes, it's in video mode, hold shutter open. Search for crop mode and FPS override options.

Datadogie

Have you thought about using the silent picture mode?
T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.

mothaibaphoto

@Datadogie: Have you really can shot 2 FPS in silent picture mode or just guess?

Duncan123

Guys
Well an update on where I am so far .

Canon 700D now with ML 1.1.4 all up[ and running ok , wow such a lot of info and changes now possible thanks guys .

To get my slow frame rate and long exposure I went to the FPS over ride and changed A and B settings , I now have ( it appears ) a slow frame rate and long exposure ( in the order of 1 sec) , but when I record a video the first 4 frames seem to be at a shorter exposure and are relatively dark , frames beyond no 4 are at the long exposure  ? is this correct ?

Second issue , I cannot see the menu choice for Silent shutter , is it available for the 700D it doesn't appear to be in the menu at all ?

Regards

Duncan