Beginner Magic Lantern

Started by DocMidi657, December 14, 2015, 11:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocMidi657

Hey ML Forum,

I have some very novice questions on beginning in Magic Lantern. I currently film and use a Canon EOS T3i/600d without Magic Lantern installed. However, I really do like its features and want to install it. Obviously, I am nervous about the camera "bricking", but I also do have a couple dilemmas. One problem I have is that I am filming a Christmas Eve service and I know that most 600d's stop continuously recording at 12 minutes. I need to film the whole service (I will have extra angles as well). Here are my questions:

-If I install ML on an SD card and put another SD card in, I am assuming that the SD card will not have ML on it (I don't want it on every SD card). Is that ok and safe for the camera? And can I continuously change out SD cards with and without ML?

-Can I continuously record fine without interruptions for a little over an hour?

Please feel free to give me any tips on starting out in ML.

Thanks!

Walter Schulz

- Yes
- No. ML includes a restart option but you will loose about half a second during restart. You may record seamless in RAW mode but this mode is restricted by cam's rather low bandwidth (about 21 MByte/s). HDMI recording will do a little bit better but 1 hour seamless is out of question.

DocMidi657

Thanks Walter! If you can answer them, I had three more questions:

-I did realize seamless wouldn't be an option, but can it still continue for an hour with a couple second dropouts during restart? (Would a really good SD card help anyway for the 600d?)

-When switching out the SD cards, the firmware will not stay on the camera because ML is assigned to an SD card correct?

-(Really novice question) Should I worry about my camera "bricking" during the download?

I really appreciate the help!

Walter Schulz

-More of a battery issue. No other problem if you can live with drops. A really good SD won't help. It's the cam card interface limited to about 21 MByte/s and you can do nothing about it.
-ML is not firmware but runs from the card like programs/applications running on your computer.
-No, because download happens on your computer and your cam is not involved. But I suppose you wanted to ask about firmware update process bricking the cam. Yes, you should worry because if it breaks you are allowed to keep both pieces. No, you should not worry because the number of cams actually bricked during installation was invented by indians. The indians living in India, I mean.

DocMidi657

One last thing (Sorry). And I'm on Canon 1.0.2 Firmware for the T3i/600d, so I should be able to put it on the card and download it with out any problems right?

Thanks!