Sup guys 5 newbie questions :)

Started by Photoguy, December 12, 2015, 04:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Photoguy

Ok I've been researching ML for a while now but still have a few questions before I install :
1.does it slow down normal camera function  (be honest I'll buy spare if so )
2. Has there been any bricked camera's (just curious )
3.how do I format card with ml?
4. if accidently erased  (what then)
5.downloaded ML on my computer months ago but haven't installed on my camera so how often is it updated? am I still good?  And how do i know if it does?

rpt

A1. Not that I have experienced.
A2. Not mine. Some have reported that the camera stopped working but after resetting the camera things seemed to work.
A3. From the Canon menu. That is how I do it.
A4. I have not done that so you will have to wait for someone else to answer that. Btw, I have 2 cards. A 4 gb one for ML and the other for pics so no confusion on which one to format and I don't format it in a card reader...
A5. Go to the download page and check dates...

Don't be scared to dive in. Don't just dip your left toe...

Have fun using ML. I do.

Photoguy

Obviously the canon menu to format lol.  I'm saying with ML.. you know will it erase ML if I format or is there a technique ?

I would hope people know how to format a card before using ml that's hilarious.

Photoguy

And last time I checked it said last updated 2013..so I was hoping to get confirmation on here

ItsMeLenny

The canon format menu has an option to enable and disable the deleting of ML once ML is intalled. (you can press something like Q to switch between whether ML will be deleted or restored after format).

You have to use the nightly builds, the old stable builds are less stable than the unstable nightly builds http://builds.magiclantern.fm/ (they update almost every day)

I doubt the amount of people who are using ML would be using ML if it either slowed down or bricked their cameras.

Photoguy

dfort

Quote from: Photoguy on December 12, 2015, 04:57:52 AM
Ok I've been researching ML for a while now but still have a few questions before I install :
1.does it slow down normal camera function  (be honest I'll buy spare if so )
2. Has there been any bricked camera's (just curious )
3.how do I format card with ml?
4. if accidently erased  (what then)
5.downloaded ML on my computer months ago but haven't installed on my camera so how often is it updated? am I still good?  And how do i know if it does?

• Camera boot time is slower. Depending on the model it might add a few seconds when you first turn on the camera but after that there is no performance hit that I noticed.
  • Don't know if ML caused any bricked cameras but the probability is very low and the Camera Emergency Department section of the forum has a good track record. If you get into development you can access some of the more "dangerous" settings but I've done some rather extreme code changes and have always been able to recover from my mistakes.
  • You can still format the cards in your camera. Some models might require making the card bootable using a utility program but I have not encountered that on the camera models that I have tried -- EOS-M and 5D3 1.1.3.
  • If you accidentally erase ML simply download it again and copy it back onto the card from your computer. Assuming your card is still formatted as a bootable device you won't even need to run the ML installation again.
  • There's no set release schedule but if there is a newer version in the nightly builds I'd recommend using the latest because it will probably be more stable and might even have some new features.

One bit of warning--once you drink the ML Kool-Aid you'll wonder why anyone would use a camera without it. You'll start proselytizing ML and people will think you have joined some sort of cult. Welcome to Magic Lantern!