Color loss when compiling TIFs in Quicktime 7

Started by astn_mrtn, November 15, 2015, 02:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

astn_mrtn

I just started using Magic Lantern a few days back on my Canon 7D and have been trying to refine my processing technique. Currently, I convert the RAW files to DNG using the raw2dng app, batch editing the DNG files & saving them as TIFs with Adobe Camera RAW (via Adobe Bridge), and then I combine the TIFs using Quicktime 7 to produce a MOV/MP4 file.

This workflow has proven to be pretty efficient & effective, but I'm having trouble with color loss with the final MOV/MP4 outputs from Quicktime 7.

Here's an example of what's happening (top image is the final output from Quicktime 7 and the bottom image is the TIF produced with Adobe Camera RAW):

I've learned to compensate by adding more saturation/contrast in Camera RAW, but I'm hoping there's another way of doing this. Is Quicktime not the best application to use for combining the TIFs? Does anyone have other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

reddeercity

Quicktime 7 is a known for Gamma Shifting , doesn't do a good job at all, I would recommend changing your workflow to the New & updated Magic Lantern Processing Tools.
Try MLVFS to extract Cdng's  from there just about any App will read them with all your Camera metadata .
One New tool Called MLV Producer which is a PC app but with "Wine" it runs fine on a Mac platform ,
this app has ACR like controls over the raw data and you can render out to Cdng's , H264, FFmpeg ProRes & DNxHD .mov files . Right from the source "MLV" or "Raw" file.
I think it will be the all in one tool every one being waiting for.
But if you choose to keep the same workflow with tiff's then you can render out the Tiff image sequence in Apple Compressor or thought Adobe Media Encoder which will producer a far superieur
Video file without  gamma shifting.
Hope that helps

astn_mrtn

Quote from: mothaibaphoto on November 15, 2015, 08:53:51 AM
Try to save Tiff in sRGB color space.

I'll try that out.

Quote from: reddeercity on November 15, 2015, 10:02:47 AM
Quicktime 7 is a known for Gamma Shifting , doesn't do a good job at all, I would recommend changing your workflow to the New & updated Magic Lantern Processing Tools.
Try MLVFS to extract Cdng's  from there just about any App will read them with all your Camera metadata .
One New tool Called MLV Producer which is a PC app but with "Wine" it runs fine on a Mac platform ,
this app has ACR like controls over the raw data and you can render out to Cdng's , H264, FFmpeg ProRes & DNxHD .mov files . Right from the source "MLV" or "Raw" file.
I think it will be the all in one tool every one being waiting for.
But if you choose to keep the same workflow with tiff's then you can render out the Tiff image sequence in Apple Compressor or thought Adobe Media Encoder which will producer a far superieur
Video file without  gamma shifting.
Hope that helps

Thank you! I ill try all of this out. Much appreciated.

reddeercity