Greetings from South Africa

Started by twisp, November 01, 2015, 08:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twisp

Greetings
Please can someone point me in the right direction, with regards to obtaining help with the use of a 7 D mark 11, i am new to photography and will appreciate any help with setting up this camera for low light shooting for live music and clubs in very low light. thank you.regards

twisp

Thank you kindly sir
just thought that being a 7D which for me is a bit advanced there would be other users on the forum that would also own this camera and be able to assist, thank you for you reply and link to google sir
regards.

Walter Schulz

The only advice I can give is: Get a decent de-noise program or plug-in and learn to balance noise reduction and detail loss. Take a look into Noiseware, Noise Ninja, NeatImage first and take your pick. Noise removal in all-purpose programs won't do the job when things get serious.

Levas

I don't have a canon 7d II, but I do some live concert/music (indoors) photography.

First thing that helps is to have some fast lenses, with a maximum aperture of f2.8 or even better f2.0

Put your camera to 'Av' mode (aperture priority) and set aperture to maximum of your lens(smallest number possible), like f2.8 or f2.0
Then put the ISO to a fixed value, good starting point for small clubs is ISO 3200.

After that, just shoot and let the camera do the math for exposure times.
check in your viewfinder or on the taken pictures on your camera display what the actual exposure times are.

If most of your pictures exposure times are slower then about 1/40, boost up the ISO further up, like ISO 6400.
If they are fast, like 1/400 or so then see if you can lower your ISO to 1600.
Above exposure times are rough indications, what exposure times you need to get non blurry images by movement depends on how fast the band is moving and of course on the focal length of the lens you use.

I don't know what lens you have now with your 7d mark II.
But for low light photography I'm very happy with the Canon 35mm f2.0 IS (the one with image stabilisation)
A cheaper option would be the Canon 50mm f1.8, I've never used this lens, some say it's pretty good, others say it's focusing is not so fast.

Note that all the above is for shooting live music bands on a stage with lighting.
If you want to shoot (party) people in the club, you need a flash...