ML features for HDR / HDR panorama shooting

Started by kriskros, October 18, 2015, 12:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kriskros

Hi everyone!

This is my first message here. I'm a panoramic photographer and I use ML for shooting. Specially Advanced Bracket and Auto ETTR features.

I have an idea to add some extras to these features to make HDR and HDR panorama shooting perfect.  I mean: as fast as possible, with no lightmeter need and with optimal expousers. Capture all light, no noise, and play with it at home.

How would it work when to shoot HDR or HDR panorama?

The goal is to capture all dynamic range from whole scene/sphere. How to do it?

1. Turn on HDR Auto ETTR/ETTL feature.
2. Set parameters of this feature.
3. Point camera at the lightest area of the scene.
4. Press SET / Use Auto ETTR feature (camera stores the first (faster) measured time in memory).
5. Point camera at the darkest area of the scene.
6. Press SET for the second time / Use Auto ETTL feature (THE NEW FEATURE) (camera stores the second (slower) measured time in memory).

Number of bracets is set before (point 2.) manually, semiautomaticaly or automaticaly.

Manualy: If I want just 3 brackets for exapmle.
  Semiautomatically: If I want 2-3 EV spacing beetween brackets - camera counts how many bracets are needed and set exact values (number of brackets and spacing).
  Automatically: Camera has an alogorithm to count brackets depending on matrix dynamic range.

7. Shoot brackets of the whole scene.
8. Go to point 3. and shoot next HDR or HDR panorama.

This feature could be also used with intervalometer to shoot HDR timelapses.

Schema: http://1drv.ms/1PzKghq

That's all from me for now.

What do you think, friends?

Kris

garry23

Kris

Like you I'm always looking for the optimum ML workflow.

When bracketing I use the ML raw spotmeter set to Ev mode. This gives me optimum exposure metering to ensure the darkest area is metered perfectly.  I then simply use auto ETTR to capture the required brackets.

BTW I written about my ML experiments here: http://photography.grayheron.net

I believe the above achieves what you are trying to do, i.e. Full ETTL to ETTR coverage.