How do YOU edit your raw videos? heres my workflow

Started by aguilarfilm, October 14, 2015, 05:31:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aguilarfilm

Heres the way i edit my DNG files, what are some other programs i can use/ ones y'all recommend?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVnf6Z2Ee40

Jay429

Thanks!
I would download the new resolve and try that its super quick workflow wise

aguilarfilm

Yeah I'm going to try that! After I upgrade to CS6

reddeercity

Quote from: aguilarfilm on October 14, 2015, 05:31:21 AM
Heres the way i edit my DNG files, what are some other programs i can use/ ones y'all recommend?
Search the forum you'll find better Raw workflows, The Key word here is "Raw" by using "Jpeg" you are killing the DR and Quality. 14bit dng's to 8bit Jpeg.
If using Premiere Pro CC , it supports Cdng,s native. and to retain  the metadata from the camera uses MLVFS on the fly Cdng extractor and Resolve & all Adobe product support it.
There many example of Raw Workflow here on the forum that use Raw from start to finish with cdng's with out transcoding.
Or at the very least transcode to ProRes 4444XQ thought A.E. with ACR , this will net you with alpha 16bit linear file or without alpha 12bit linear.

aguilarfilm

Thanks, going to try that later today when the sunset hits

limey

Yeh this is old workflow, but at least using tiff files for better quality. Suggest mlvfs to davinci to premiere. Or mlvfs to premiere.

nikki

reddeercity

Quote from: nikki on October 23, 2015, 08:36:42 PM
what's the workflow when using fcpx?
Depends on your preferences , requirements and what software you have available.
I have been recommending right from the beginning to use ACR thou A.E. to ProRes.
I have adjusted the Workflow to be automation like , special on bigger projects.
The  key pierces of software are : MLVFS  , smartimport2  I wrote a post about the workflow with Screen Shots from the Smart Importer2 With After Effect CC Ver. 12.2
So at this point if you like using LUT then apply something like VisionLOG profile for ACR & Lightroom   It's free
or I just adjust to my liking that flatten out then export to ProRes4444XQ don't use ProRes4444 as it will clip high lights & crush the shadows so you will loss DR.

It not the fastest to ProRes4444XQ but it is the Very Better method at the moment ,
So this how it goes : MLVFS-->Cdngs-->After Effect CS6 or CC (note A.E.cc 2014 & cc 2015 will not export ProRes4444XQ)-->Run Smart Importer 2 Script -->ACR adjustment windows
(note ever file the ACR windows will appear , e.g. 200 files 200 time acr pops up) then the batch is done , just render and walk away.
Then import the ProRes in to FCPX , let FCPX make proxies and if you add the XMP side car profile in After Effect when rendering then you can use FCPX 's Log feature under file info in Extended Settings.

Now there is an other way to use FCPX without Adobe and that's with DaVinci Resolve 12 , this method is known as a "Round Trip"
You still will need to use MLVFS to extract Cdng's on the fly , import in to resolve , setting up your Color Space for the cdng's and you display color space choose the right color management
then export ProRes 4444XQ or what ever codec you what to use save it as a "FCPXML" open the xml in FCPX edit etc..... save as  FCPXML , open in resolve and relink the ProRes to Cdng's
Grade the project export to what ever you need.
The debaying of the image is not as good as ACR but it not to bad.

So it's up to you and what kind of workflow you like or what your computer can handle for work load.

The biggest differences is With A.E. workflow you are using virtual Cdng's , which when done rendering to ProRes4444XQ you Unmount the MLV file and you are done.
But with Round Trip you need your Cdng's in a media storage which take up extra HD space.

DeafEyeJedi

Indeed the good old MLVFS > AE 12.2 > ProRes4444XQ workflow is one of the most useful method if not the best especially w the pure & unclipped quality you can get out of MLV RAW despite of how long it takes.

It's like fine wine... The longer it takes the better it taste (looks) hence the reason why @reddeercity mentioned the debayering results differences between AE & DR in which I agreed as well.

However, I'm still picking up the pace with DR12 though there's something special about ACR that I can't help myself resist from using it within AE.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109