CF Card

Started by Atkinc, October 03, 2015, 06:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atkinc

I successfully installed ML on a Canon 7D and a 16gb cf card and everything is working fine. I then tried to install ML on a 32gb card and the 7D doesn't recognize the ML update file. Need help.

Walter Schulz

Format card in cardreader, format in cam, insert back into cardreader, copy extracted nightly build contents to card, insert into cam and run firmware update.

Atkinc

Thanks Walter,
Still no luck, I formatted card with disk utility, MS-Dot-Fat, (Mac 10.10), then the camera, installed the ML files to the root directory of the card but get this message when I get to the firmware update: "Update file cannot be found.Check memory card and reload battery".

Walter Schulz

Please show contents of root directory.

Atkinc

Thanks, I'm new to the forum and not sure how to add a screenshot or photo to a post.

DeafEyeJedi

Use Flickr or Tinypic.com to upload and then paste the BB code on your post...
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Atkinc

Thanks,
Here are the links

Walter Schulz

Looks ok-ish. You may try to change ML-SETUP.FIR to lowercase. Or change both file names to uppercase.
If it doesn't work: Skip it and use MacBoot to make card bootable. Wipe contents from card after and copy extracted nightly build contents to card once again. Should work without running installation procedure.

Atkinc

No luck with MacBoot I get this.

DeafEyeJedi

Have you tried formatting card via Disk Utility on Mac?

Walter Schulz

MacBoot won't run with user privilege.

Atkinc

Yes, tried Disk utility.
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by "macboot won't run under user privilege".

Walter Schulz

"Sudo" doesn't ring a bell, I suppose. My computers are not running OS X so my only advice is "google". I hope some Mac user is jumping in to assist.

DeafEyeJedi

Try to type in sudo (if that doesn't work then try root) then press enter then it will ask for admin password and then leave Terminal Open while running Macboot...

I'm just remembering all of this on top of my head since it has been awhile since I last used this.

dfort

Just out of curiosity, are you running OS-X 10.11 "El Capitan"? It broke quite a few apps because of the more restrictive security policies. It looks like MacBoot hasn't been updated for a while and might not even run on 10.10, "Yosemite".

I don't use MacBoot but if you want to run it as a root user you need to start it from a launcher app. According to the MacBoot website:

QuoteNote for Mountain Lion ( 10.8 ) and Mavericks ( 10.9 ) Users. Mountain Lion and Mavericks require root access to make changes to cards. As a result, MacBoot will fail with a "permission refused" message unless it has root access. To run MacBoot under Mountain Lion or Mavericks, download this zip file, put it in the same folder as Macboot and unzip it. You'll get a macboot.command script. Double-clicking the script will bring up a terminal window and sudo will ask you to type your logon password so MacBoot can get root access. MacBoot will run when you press return.

Atkinc

Running 10.10.5.
I ran the script successfully but the camera still doesn't see the ML files.
About to give up on this one.

Walter Schulz

Sorry, you did it wrong. If you made the card bootable by running MacBoot (you did?) and insert it into cam (and ML files present) you should be able to use ML. No "Firmware update" needed!
If card is bootable but ML files missing or not found: Cam will get stuck.
If card is not bootable: Cam works with plain Canon code.

Edit: Wait a moment! I hear a distant bell ringing ...
I partly remember some issue with OS X where the computer disabled card's bootflag on its own or some other manipulation disabling ML to run from a card. But not able to find the thread ...