Clarification on Spot Meter

Started by Das Burschlein, September 07, 2015, 11:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Das Burschlein

Can anyone clarify a few things about the spot meter for me?  What percentages correspond to the Canon meter readings?  How many percentage points represent 1 stop?  The way I figure it, if the scale from 1% to 100% represents black to white, I would think that a gray card would read 50% because that would be in the middle of the scale.  Highlighted Caucasian skin would be about +2 on Canon's scale (two stops more exposure than a gray card). Now, I've read in other threads that highlighted Caucasian skin would be 70% on the spot meter.  So if 70% is two stops more than 50%, one stop must equal 10 percentage points.  And if I were to apply the Zone System, zone 5 would be 50%, zone 6 would be 60%, zone 7 would be 70%, etc.  Am I correct in thinking so?

Thanks!

Audionut

Middle grey is 18%, but your light meter may meter differently.
A good article regarding the zone system.

I'm not sure what scale percentage matches exposure (other then 18% = middle grey), and I prefer to use raw based exposure feedback anyway.

garry23

For what its worth, like Audionut, I only use the Ev feedback. But, then again, I don't do videography, 'only' photography.

I've looked at the code, and in fact started to change it to give a 1-deg spot capability, ie the metered area would change according to FL. The current ML spot is, if I remember correctly, +/- 10 'pixcels' (I assume from the LV resolution ?).

Thus the standard ML spot gives you very tight metering.

My main use of the ML RAW Ev spotmeter is when I bracket. I use the ML spotmeter on the darkest area where I wish to see 'detail' and place this in the Ev 'zone' of my choice, based on 0Ev is 100% 'saturated'.

I would recommend using a grey card and 'calibrating' your ML spotmeter, ie knowing your spot is -x EV down from saturated allows you to 'place' the metered area in a zone of your choice.

Das Burschlein

Thanks for your responses!
Ok,  yesterday I did a quick test.  Using Canon's meter I exposed a gray card for normal exposure, so Zone V (not shooting RAW). I switched to ML spot meter and the reading was 49.  I did the same comparison up and down the scale and got the following:
1. (-3) Zone II = 11%
2. (-2) Zone III = 20%
3. (-1) Zone IV = 34%
4. (0) Zone V = 49%
5. (+1) Zone VI = 69%
6.(+2) Zone VII = 83%
7. (+3) Zone VIII = 96%
Then I re-read the article by Gisle Hannemyr (ftp://http://dpanswers.com/content/tech_zonesystem.php) and noticed that he has the percentages that correspond to the various Zones and my numbers come very close to his.  I think this shows that the proper reading for a gray card (18% reflectance), in order to place it on Zone V, should be 49/50%, the middle of the scale, and not 18%. I think the reason for this is that a camera meter is measuring tonalities, not actual reflectance.  When I think about it, if a meter is going to measure the percentage of reflectance an object has, it would have to know the strength of the light source.  So I think that the scale 0% to 100% simply represents the tonal range from black to white (much like 0-255), not the actual reflectance of an object, and we expose any given object in a way to place it where we want it on that scale.

garry23

You may wish to rerun your tests in RAW and with the ML Spot Ev meter.

Ev readings allow you to better link to camera settings, ie stops of change.

Das Burschlein

I'll have to give that a try.  However, how would I interpret the results to correlate them with JPEG?  I shoot primarily video and am not ready to get into RAW until it is more stable.  Besides, I'll have to invest in a larger and faster card before I do.

Audionut

Quote from: Das Burschlein on September 11, 2015, 03:19:13 PM
Ok,  yesterday I did a quick test.

Your results look sound. 

6D meters 1 stop to low (0EV meters to zone IV), and be mindful that picture style settings affect the displayed results.