Question: Windows/Mac Conversion Codec & Deleting MLVs?

Started by misterl, August 18, 2015, 08:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

misterl

Hi everyone,

I'm using Magic Lantern with a 5D Mark III.   I'm shooting RAW and though I have very powerful Mac and Windows systems, my preference is to work with Windows when possible.

I've been using MLVFS to directly mount my MLV files and it's working great (I've also tried some of the other workflows using MLRAWVIEWER and Resolve, etc.), but the amount of storage space necessary is definitely significant.

Here's my question:  Since my finally delivery format will be HD 1080P (or potentially upres'd to 4k), is there a codec I could simply convert all my MLV files to once I bring them on my system?  Something with smaller file sizes and still great quality that would allow me to just delete the MLV files and move forward with the new smaller files without sacrificing too much of the quality?

I'm assuming this would be possible on the MAC using ProRes422, but I'm not sure about that – also not sure if there's any similar option for Windows.

Thanks!

rrrmusic

Yes with mlrawviewer. Press C and that convert all mlv in the current directory to prores 444 10bit movie files and you can apply LUTS in 14bit mlv before convertion.

Danne

You can use cr2hdr-r for same 10-bit prores444 encoding multithreaded.

reddeercity

If on a Mac there is Only One to use that's ProRes4444XQ, which is 16bit with alpha .
It was design to keep All the dynamic range of the raw image.
On the PC Blackmagic's RGB codec is good or DNxHD or DNxHR 444 350Mb/s.

It always best it you are using ProRes to encode on a Mac machine, because the prores from FFmpeg uses
10bit version of 4444 not the mac 12bit & they are compatible with windows expect prores4444xq that's Mac only.

I personally use ProRes4444XQ to archive my MLV/Raw files in a flat profile , I think there's about 15-20% reduction in size.