DNG Editing - Question before importing

Started by gmfotografie, August 13, 2015, 08:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmfotografie

hello,

when importing the mlv files i use MIRawViewer to convert the mlv files to mov using it in premiere. but the dynamic range is than terrible.

the thing is that when i´m editing one of the dng files in acr i always can controll the higlights and shadows far more better than in premiere. the dnamic range of the dng is great.

is it possible to get a file which i can use in premiere and which has the same dynamic range as the cinamedng files when i open them in adaobe camera raw?

(i tried following: editing a dng files, syncing with the others and acr and saving to a new folder. but premiere cannot import the new saved files)

best michael

Danne

You can open cdng sequences straight in adobe premiere pro cc. Dr should be a lot better than ffmpeg prores coming from mlrawviewer.

gmfotografie

thanks i´ve tried this too but the picture in premiere also don´t look like when i´m opening it in acr (- all the controllers in zero position)
(by the way in acr i have this great lighting controller).

DeafEyeJedi

Perhaps try using AE's workflow instead if you want to stick with the ACR's knob sliders....
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

gmfotografie

@ DeafEyeJedi
you are right but the clip in premiere after importing is completely blown out.... i have tried to manage it but no chance.

this workflow gives me great results ;-)  ( with higlight recovery button activated)

http://nofilmschool.com/2013/06/hunter-hampton-richards-5d-markiii-resolve-alexa-lut

mothaibaphoto

@gmfotografie: That workflow for intentionally underexposed footage. For me Resolve clips highlights heavily, even 12 beta, even with "higlight recovery" in RAW settings. So can you please share, how this looks in Resolve?

gmfotografie

The first three pictures are Screenshots after importing the RAw Files into the programs

4th, 5th, and 6th are with a "fast" correction...
(ACR is only an example for me that there is information in the highlights)

With DaVinci i can easily get this information while in premiere this information is gone.
i don´t know a workflow to get this information. even with highlights shadow corrections or the lumicurce...see last screenshot

PREMIERE_IMPORT by gm fotografie, auf Flickr

ACR_IMPORT by gm fotografie, auf Flickr

DaVinci_Import by gm fotografie, auf Flickr

ACR_Correction by gm fotografie, auf Flickr

DaVinci_Clip_BMD_HR by gm fotografie, auf Flickr

Premiere _Highlight-Shadows by gm fotografie, auf Flickr

DeafEyeJedi

Well then maybe you should check out @Andy600's Cinelog-C which does a pretty good job at keeping highlights from clipping while maintaining DR if not better...

Check it out while you can!

Also if you want link up one of your DNG's to here and I'll test it out myself to see if it actually does make any differences.

gmfotografie

thank you !

here is one dng file ...if you need more... contact me ; thx!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kd6ps5dtu2tvwb6/M13-0656_C0000_00000.dng?dl=0

ps sorry but where can i find  @Andy600's Cinelog-C ;-)

DeafEyeJedi

DeafEyeJedi

@gmfotografie:

Actually it is missing some tags since ACR won't allow me to apply Cinelog-C on your 5D3 footage... which converter did you use to spit out DNG's?

Looks like you used MLRV?

How big is your MLV file from this take?

If it's too big then please use another decent converter out there (preferably MLVFS or cr2hdr-r or raw2cdng depending which OS you are running) to get proper tags on the DNG's otherwise.

mothaibaphoto

Since the very first time of ML Raw video i see ACR not recognise camera model in your DNG file (Camera profile - embedded only). And this why DeafEyeJedi can't apply Cinelog :( What, the hell, the converter used?

mothaibaphoto

ACR

Capture One

Just Capture One can see green color at that tree in background.

gmfotografie

So, i actually convert the MLV Files via RAWMagic once more and let you know soon...

gmfotografie

so i upload this footage after new converting it with the actual MagicRaw App to CinemaDNG

feel free to download the footage files ( maybe you wait some minutes as it is uploaded to dropbox)
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ao44r87dts46y0z/AAAE6Sw4v2Civ2hCpC4Nwqzka?dl=0

by the way i have done the workflow again with a great result:
- magicraw to cinemadng
- via bridge selecting the first cinemadng files form the footage and editing it in camera raw
- synchronizing all files and safe them as a tiff file as a sequenze
- open it in premiere and i got a first great result

but the workflow with davinci is much faster i think so ...

DeafEyeJedi

I'm sorry but RAWMagic isn't supported here by ML due to GPL code violations.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11879.0