CineLog - correct CameraProfile in ACR?

Started by gmfotografie, August 15, 2015, 05:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmfotografie

Hi,

can anyone tells me why i don´t see the correct cameraprofil in ACR after opening a cinemadng file
I have converted the mlv files (5diii) with rawmagic.

always tells me : camera profil = embedded

but i want to choose -5dii cinelog-

maybe this doesn´t matter because in aftereffects i can chaoose it as an input source ?

Screenshot 2015-08-15 18.02.49 by gm fotografie, auf Flickr

best michael

DeafEyeJedi

RAWMagic isn't supported here by ML.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11879.0

There are other decent coveters that will add proper tags in order to allow you to apply Cinelog-C within ACR.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Andy600

Hi Michael,

You should select Cinelog v3.0 as input colorspace as the v3 profiles in ACR are all calibrated to output the the same log color profile.

If you exposed without using a greycard you may find your images appear under or over exposed. If they do need some correction I suggest the following:

1) In the first OCIO plugin select Cinelog v3.0 (use as input from ACR) as input space and Linear Rec709 as the output space.

2) add an exposure plugin (but don't adjust it yet)

3) Add another instance of the OCIO plugin with the input space set to Linear rec709 and output set to Cinelog-C.

4) Add an adjustment layer with another instance of the OCIO plugin and set this to Cinelog-C input and Cinelog-C rec709 as output - this layer can be disable once you have corrected any exposure issues and allow you to export Cinelog-C intermediate files in ProRes or DNxHD.

Do not enable GPU processing. Only use this if you use the OCIO plugin to host a lut.

Now you can make your exposure corrections using the exposure plugin you added earlier. The reason for sandwiching the exposure plugin in this way is to make it work in linear light without the influence of gamma or a tone curve - i.e. how light actually works. It also saves you going back to ACR to adjust exposure multiple times. The only adjustment you might need to make in ACR is white balance but you can also use noise reduction, sharpening and lens calibrations if needed.

re: RawMagic - yes, it's unsupported here. It doesn't matter so much which converter you used if you are using the camera profiles in the ACR version of Cinelog-C as all the embedded color metadata is overridden by the .DCP profile as long as the UniqueCameraModel tag is correct (some older converters embed generic or wrong tags).

If you don't want to render intermediate log files but add one of the look luts you can select 'custom' in the OCIO plugin in the adjustment layer (i.e. the plugin where you set Cinelog-C to Cinelog-C Rec709 previously) and navigate to the Film looks or DSLR color luts that you downloaded. Set interpolation to Tetrahedral for the best results. The looks are all built for display in rec709.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

DeafEyeJedi

Sorry @Andy600 I was under the impression that it DOES matter which converter we use because it requires proper tags in order for Cinelog-C to work at its finest or no? (Thought I remember reading this on your site too?)

Hence the reason why the Cinelog-C DPC for 5D3 isn't showing up on ACR probably because he used RAWMagic converter as oppose to the ones that you recommended (MLVFS, Raw2cdng, cr2hdr-r, etc) so I apologize if I was wrong on this.

Thanks!

gmfotografie

andy thank you so much for your detailed answer!
also thanks to DeafEyeJedi

i use now mlvfs but there is still no cinelog-profile for starting the workflow correctly:

Screenshot 2015-08-15 21.44.46 by gm fotografie, auf Flickr

DeafEyeJedi

post the original MLV (not DNG's) for me to test on my end...

Andy600

Hi Michael,

Sorry about this!

**update**

If the camera profiles are installed in the correct directory this is certainly because RawMagic is embedding non-standard or localized camera names.

Can you first check if the profiles are installed correctly doing a search on your system for the Adobe .dcp profiles (i.e. search *.dcp). If this is different to the install path you used simple move the Cinelog v3.0 Camera Profiles folder to the 'Camera Profiles' folder (there should be 2 main folders called Camera Profiles and Lens Profiles). If ACR still does not show the Cinelog Profile please send me a single DNG from your RawMagic conversion? I'll build a 5D3 profile that can use whatever tags it embeds and send it over asap.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

DeafEyeJedi

Thanks for the MLV file. I suspect it has to do with how you place these DCP profiles in the wrong folder. Please follow instructions from Andy otherwise PM me for more assist.

Anyhow, here's what I was able to do with your file.

https://vimeo.com/136402257

https://vimeo.com/136403836

Andy600

Thanks Sean, nice little demo btw :)

I think install path is likely the cause this time but I did have a user with a similar issue caused by a raw2dng app embedding region-specific tags for the 600D (tagged as T3i) and these were not recognized by Adobe ACR. It's relatively simple to retag with exiftool but this will become annoying having to do it for every frame sequence so for anyone that has this issue we suggest using ML supported apps.

DeafEyeJedi

Ah, I think I like yours better. How much did you pull down in exposure on this one?

I pulled down about 2 stops just for the hell of it on my version based on the histogram trying to compensate for highlights.

gmfotografie

thank you so much for your great help; you can use the footage ...no problem.

i will have a try on another clip which i record at the same day... once more with the sun into the sensor ;-)

DeafEyeJedi

and be sure to apply UV filter on your lens...

mothaibaphoto

@DeafEyeJedi:
Converted with Capture One with settings on screenshot from this message:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15686.msg152734#msg152734
Except I push more Shadow to make foreground brighter.
Initial topic was about getting maximum DR from highlights in common, not just about ACR, and picture from Capture One looks better for me this time.
By the way, this excellent convertor have almost no attention here, in ML community, despite they aware of ML for a long time and support CinemaDNG:
http://blog.phaseone.com/work-magic-on-your-movies-in-capture-one-7/

DeafEyeJedi

Right I've heard/read of them and wasn't sure if it doesn't violate the GPL code with ML.

However, to my knowledge there are already amounts of excellent converters designed by loyal ML contributors, as far as I'm concerned.

But will definitely look into this one because it does look promising and I like their concept.

Thanks for sharing @mothaibaphoto!

mothaibaphoto

@DeafEyeJedi:
Don't mess the RAW converters (ACR, Capture One, Raw Therapee and so on) and converters, used for adopt ML output files for further editing(mlv_dump, raw2cdng, MLrawViewer, and, finally, damned rawmagic).
RAW converters simply can't violate ML GPL :)

Andy600

@Michael - just a quick tip for shooting that will help improve your end results as this particular image is clipped (hence the solid white line in the histogram). If you don't already do so I strongly recommend enabling the raw zebras in ML to show when highlight clipping occurs and shoot with a greycard.

I tend to get good results using the raw spot meter to expose the greycard at around -3.7ev but always keep an eye on the highlights using the zebras or you get noticeable clipping (like the sky in your shot). The only way to smooth this is to push highlights up under an s-curve to the point where the haloing around the tree looks more natural. The dynamic range of this shot is easily within the range your 5D3 can capture.

gmfotografie

thank you so much for your help ... i have learned so much in the last days ;-) great!

but actually i´m desperate because i cannot load the cinelog cameraprofile in acr. i have donw all the steps with the right files coping into hd-libary-application support-adobe-cameraraw-cameraprofiles-camera-5diii

but i just see (9.1.1)

Screenshot 2015-08-16 19.16.54 by gm fotografie, auf Flickr

@andy thank you for your tipps... in this clip the sun directly shines into the sensor ... i wanted to do such test.
by the way:i will follow your recomendations with the gray card; thx

Mehmet Kozal

Edit: Just realized you guys discussed these already. I'm not deleting the post just in case someone needs that terminal line.

I also get the "embedded" thing unless I add the model name of the camera into metadata via exif toll.

exiftool -progress -overwrite_original -r -Model="CAMERA MODEL" -UniqueCameraModel="CAMERA MODEL" then [drag and drop folder]

example: exiftool -progress -overwrite_original -r -Model="Canon EOS 650D" -UniqueCameraModel="Canon EOS 650D"

I only wish I could know how to add other stuff too like adding a lens model etc.
Canon 650D user. Also, Bilal Fakhouri is a hero.

Andy600

Michael - can you PM or email me a single dng file to check. I still think this is related to the install path. I've checked that the profiles work with 9.1.1 on both platforms and they work. Don't worry, we will get it sorted!

DeafEyeJedi

Is there a good reAson to update to 9.xx as oppose to sticking with 8.xx version of ACR?