[DONE] Multiple Settings/Presets

Started by Daniel, July 21, 2012, 11:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

How about multiple settings / presets on one card?
so you could save a video, time lapse and photography presets that you can load.

maybe even be able to save presets for multiple cameras with only the presets used for matching camera.
name the presets like 60D-timelapse.CFG , 600D-video.CFG , 550D-photo.CFG
that way the camera only loads the matching config file.
current: 70D 112
old cameras: T3i, T1i

scrax

hum... I have only one camera ML supported but I found interesting to have a magic.cfg for each model, had an idea to try. to see what I can do...
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Malcolm Debono

Selectable configs would definitely be useful for different shooting scenarios. At the moment, I just copy the config I need before the shoot.

Theoretically, this should also make using the same card in multiple cameras safe to use.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

jplxpto

I think this makes sense even if you only have a camera.
I've often thought that functionality.
I never understood why Canon does not implement such basic things.
With the original firmware you can save multiple settings in C1, C2 and C3,
but the camera does not persist this information on the card.
Each one of us could keep a list of specific settings for each type of photography.
Save some information about the menus would also be interesting.
In the camera could save or read files available on the card.
And were it possible would be useful load in C1, C2, C3 settings read previously.

scrax

for the photo settings in M mode i'm using some code from gheja found on bitbucket. it just saves and restores some settings like iso, av, tv wb...

I'm thinking what could be the best way to have multiple settings, since mode remap is not reliable.
Maybe arrow shortcuts can be used

my first suggestion is 4 preset that can be saved to arrow shortcut and SET button for enabling edit mode
To save a preset setup ML for what you need, then activate edit mode in the shortcut with SET and press the arrow where you want it saved, do the same for all the arrow and you are done.
In the menu only an option in shortcut submenu to enable it could be enougth?
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Daniel

to clarify, my original idea is for both for single camera or multi camera use.

why not do something like CHDK, and just have a file list and select the file/preset to load?
maybe their source code can be modified for use with ML?
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Downloads
current: 70D 112
old cameras: T3i, T1i

Alvin Drake

It would be really useful to be able to have at least two configurations for rapid recall.

Sorry for my English.

nanomad

the mod that allows autoexec.bin selection has this feature already
I'll probably merge it when I manage to test it
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

a1ex

That's a different feature IMO, autoexec selection is useful for beta testers, config presets is for end users.

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on August 29, 2012, 07:50:29 AM
That's a different feature IMO, autoexec selection is useful for beta testers, config presets is for end users.

+1 for different config presets like the display presets - I always wondered why ml doesn't feature this, even Canon has a "C" setting on its camera bodies.

The nicest option would be menu tab / ml start screen that appears after pushing the ml button (like the Canon user menu). There the different configs should be quickly selectable, optimally with custom names. I'm only using ml for 4-5 scenarios, and juggling through the menus is possible, but time-consuming.