70D will not boot

Started by edens101, June 22, 2015, 04:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

edens101

Ok guys, I've had my 70D for about a month now without any issues. I've been through two version of ML without any glitches that couldn't be solved by turning the camera off and back on. I was out shooting today on a hike and everything was working fine with the exception of when I turned the camera on the first time it said something about it being shut down improperly. I turned the camera off, removed the battery, replaced the battery, turned back on, and everything was working fine. Took a few shots on the hike, no problem. Little while later, reach for the camera, try to turn it on, nothing. Won't power on. I figured there was no way the battery was dead, I had just taken it off the charger before heading out. I tried turning it on a few times, nothing. Tried pulling the battery and replacing, nothing. I got back to my car, tried a different battery, still nothing. I was on my drive home, sitting at a red light. Original battery was back in the camera, when all of a sudden, I hear the shutter going off extremely fast. I grab the camera, which was still set to off, open the LCD screen and the last picture I took was displayed and it is saying something about an improper shut down again. I again pull the battery, replace, try to turn on, the light next to the SD card flashes a few times when the battery goes in, but the only thing that happens when it is turned on is the backlight on the top lcd panel lights up, but none of the settings light up, can't take a picture, menu won't display. If I hit the start/stop button to go into live view you can hear the camera click like it normally would, but nothing displays, still can't take a picture. I tried holding set during boot up, nothing. Tried booting without a card, same deal. Kind of at a loss here, not really sure if this in a ML issue, or a Canon issue. Any help would be appreciated.

a1ex

edens101

Well, I can't get it to do anything now, the light by the SD card door doesn't even flash. Acts like it is just completely dead. Looks like I will have to give Canon a call on this one.  :(

kitor

Are you using battery grip? Is card that you used for display test bootable?
For now, looks like a hardware issue.
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R or RP mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

edens101

No battery grip or any other accessories. I wasn't even able to do the display test because the camera will not physically do anything at this point. At first it was trying to power up, but acting very odd when trying, now it's like there isn't even a battery in it. I definitely think it is a hardware issue. Luckily I've not quite had it 30 days and I can send it back to B&H for an exchange and not have to deal with Canon at all! Already have the RMA set up with them.