Do I keep getting fake CF cards??? :(

Started by Raw_Video_Fan, June 15, 2015, 03:29:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raw_Video_Fan

Hi everyone! I'm new here, how are all of you lot doing?? :D

I don't know if if this is the right place to ask but this has been bothering me for a really long time now and only just managed to sign up and ask all of you very wonderful people. I am in the planning stages of wanting to shoot a video in RAW and I have done before thus I know what is needed and etc.

To keep the long story short, I have ordered a Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB 160MB/s CF card and I originally tested on an internal CF card reader which gave me pretty low writing speeds, and I was pretty furious about this, however I was suggested in testing it out on a dedicated USB3.0 CF card reader which I gave the benefit of the doubt, thus I went ahead and ordered the well recommended Lexar Dual Card reader (used but that shouldn't matter right?). I then proceeded with testing the card again after I received it and once again I pretty much got the same results! I notified and ordered the seller to have my card returned. With the refund I ordered a new card but this time used from Amazon US's 'Amazon Warehouse' and waited for the card to arrive.

After awhile I finally got it and was finally excited to try out what seemed to be a 'genuine' card. I don't know if you could imagine my look of dissapointed when I saw the result falling really short of expectations. The thing is I get really good Reading speeds but really bad writing speeds, like all the time, I really don't know what is going on and at this time I was quite exhausted and almost initially gave up with the intention of signing up here ask if anyone might know what is going on. That was a week weeks ago I procrastinated on the idea.

Now I'm finally here and hopefully all of you got the gist of it, does anyone know what could be going on?? I don't know what I could be missing from the equation. My computer is USB3.0 and I'm even connecting the card reader on the rear ports so it's directly to the motherboard. I spent alot of money on getting these really fast cards (64GB guysss!) and everytime I do it's just been an absolute failure for me! :(

Does anyone know what could be going on? I really want to shoot my little film project I've been attempting for months now but something as simple as this is being a real hindrance. Please also find attached one of the benchmark tests that I managed to save when doing them awhile ago.

I hope all is well!

DeafEyeJedi

Can you just run Benchmark in Camera within ML and press the play button right after you start the BM process.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Walter Schulz

I cannot see "really good Reading speeds". It looks like an USB 2.0 connection is in use. Reader is connected to computer's "blue connectors" and USB 3.0 drivers are installed?

Raw_Video_Fan

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on June 15, 2015, 08:51:39 AM
Can you just run Benchmark in Camera within ML and press the play button right after you start the BM process.

I dont have immediate access to a 5D camera thus why I am taking this route. Does it differ dramatically?

Quote from: Walter Schulz on June 15, 2015, 09:07:01 AM
I cannot see "really good Reading speeds". It looks like an USB 2.0 connection is in use. Reader is connected to computer's "blue connectors" and USB 3.0 drivers are installed?

How can you not see it? It's on the right side in a blue box on the 'Read' section.

All drivers are installed, how can I not have USB3.0 drivers installed? I have an Asus Z87-K motherboard and all drivers are shown to be installed in Device manager, so nothing's missing I suppose.

Walter Schulz

The chart tell's "33.04" MByte/s for read in sequential mode. It's about 1/4 of expected performance and about limit for USB 2.0. That's why I asked. Numbers to the right seems to look like some kind of performance index and I have no idea which algorithm is used here.
Try using CrystalDiskMark or ATTO and try again.