Help with purple overexposed highlights

Started by murinae, May 30, 2015, 03:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

murinae

Hello people,

New to this forum and to ML. I'm actually a producer/editor but I have just done a project with a cameraman using the 5Dm3+ML.
Here's the question: ML apparently has a function that shows overexposed highlights in purple. I thought this appeared only as an overlay on the camera display but when reviewing I saw that it was on the footage as well (mainly concerns the overcast sky, which is now purple instead of white)

heres a screencap:

Is there an easy way to remove this? Easy as in outside the NLE?

I'm using Premiere CC to edit, so I might be able to remove it there. It just seemed that this function is very weird and impractical and I'm overlooking something obvious. Thanks for helping.

m

Andy600

Did you shoot ETTR? You should be able to fix it by changing the white level meta to something lower. Can you send me a DNG and I'll take a look?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

murinae

Hey, as I said I didn't shoot this so I don't know about ETTR.
Not sure how to get a DNG of the video file either. I could upload a sample video file itself to my dropbox and share that, would this work?
Let me just check if I can fix this via changing white levels in Premiere before I bother you more :)

EDIT: If I change the white to gray it works, although I reckon colour correction and balance will be quite a challenge in the end. I think I can sort the rest out myself but I you still want to take a look at a file you can download a clip here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8vy3ciayfpzp3ux/BJ5A1981.MOV?dl=0

Any tips on how to avoid that in the future? Which feature of ML is causing this? Is this WAD or a bug?

Andy600

@murinae - was this shot with in-camera h.264 or is it transcoded from raw (.raw or .mlv)? I've never seen this happen with in-camera H.264  ???

If it's shot raw you need to get hold of the original raw files or the .DNG images so the metadata can be tweaked.

If it is in-camera H.264 it's very odd - shouldn't happen! The best way to fix this (as the image cannot be properly linearized) is to use the Video Limiter plugin in Premier. Another user has a similar but unrelated issue (but with raw files) see:http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15231.msg148545;topicseen#msg148545. The limiter should help but it probably won't be very good.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

murinae

I *think* it was shot in in-cam h.264, as I'm sure no transcoding happened. I got this footage straight from the cameraman's cf cards. Also you can check the sample video I posted in my post above this one.

Andy600

In-camera h.264 shouldn't be affected by ML. It could be a faulty PictureStyle (but I doubt it). If ML is somehow affecting the levels before encoding it's a problem - on a positive note it could potentially be very useful to understand why it's happening but my gut feeling is that this is a transcode.

murinae

Thanks for the link to the limiter tutorial, that seems a decent enough workaround. As to why it happened I am as clueless as you. As I said I got the footage straight from the cameraman's cards, so I don't think there was any transcoding.

This is for a low-budget doc project, so the loss in quality isn't ideal, but better than not using the footage.

So no idea how to avoid this in the future?

Andy600

Disable ML features and shoot a test before your actual shoot. If it plays back without the problem you are 'probably' safe. I haven't a clue why this has happened TBH. If it's not from raw then it's a bug.

Audionut

Looks like to much gain reduction with ML digital ISO.  Movie menu > Image Fine-Tuning.