5Dmkiii cr2 into LR & Aperture unsupported file format [solved]

Started by Craigo, June 01, 2015, 02:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craigo

Hi all,

It's happened more than once on a day out, all images are fine viewing on the camera display but once imported into LR6 or Aperture they are not right.

It's seems to be a common thing from online searching, but I can't find an answer really.
I've updated my Apple RAW compatibility updates, no change.
I just installed LR6 trial to move away from Aperture so I thought this was a problem at first too, I've got 8days remaining so want to get to the bottom of this problem before deciding.

I'm using 5Dmkiii v1.2.3 nightly build of ML it was also same on 1.1.3, I've only just bought this camera (second hand) so my first thought was a sensor issue or such.
I'm using a LEXAR 1066X CF card with their own USB3 dual card reader into an Elgato Thunderbolt dock into my Macbook Pro (Late 2011 2.5Ghz i7 16GB RAM), I understand I need to use the dock because my laptop isn't USB3.
I only have MLV rec and snd module loaded.
I'm taking photos either in Av mode or A+, no changes to the 5D factory default really.

If I import direct from the card to LR6 or drag the folder from the card onto my desktop and import this way still same.

I can't seem to attach any images to this post, there's no option underneath where it says attachments and other options, why?

Hope you can help.
C

Craigo

It seems I've found the solution,

I have been using an Elgato Thunderbolt dock v1, because of the USB3 advise with Lexar CF cards (not sure where I read this).... but this is somehow corrupting the cr2 files on import I think.
I tried the Lexar USB3 dual card reader direct to my USB2 port on my MBP and all images import perfectly.

Do you think I'm OK transferring MLV files through USB2 once I get into recording video?
I have been seeing white random pixels whilst playing around but thought it was my ML settings so didn't think anything of it until now.

Would love to know if any other users have the Elgato dock and have had problems.

C.

Frank7D

QuoteDo you think I'm OK transferring MLV files through USB2 once I get into recording video?

OK as far as avoiding corruption, yes (as long as you use usb3 reader).
Not so OK as far as transfer speed to your computer.