Brighton's Children's Parade - shot with Magic Lantern raw

Started by kitzie, May 16, 2015, 11:52:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitzie

Every year in Brighton UK there is a wonderful and intricate parade by children from 70 schools from the area. This year the organisers asked to me to make a little film out of it, so I thought I'd share it with you fine people!

https://vimeo.com/127322249

Shot with a 5D Mk iii using raw, and with a Pentax 50mm and Rokinon 35mm.

Hope you enjoy,

Jeb

kitzie

Conaxe

This is awesome! Very high spirited vibe, lovely colours. I saw some focus came in with a delay(3+/- sec) or was this intended?
70D.111B

khayyamkhan

DeafEyeJedi

@kitzie -- interesting set of lenses -- did you shoot them wide open? Which LUTS did you use for this?

Care to share your specs/settings from 5D3 as well as your workflow done in post?

Thanks for sharing!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

kitzie

Thanks for watching guys, I really appreciate the feedback.

I hope this answers some of your questions -

It was the first project I used Cinelog on, and it really helps getting skin tones better (which I really struggled with using Visionlog).

My workflow is MLV converted in Raw2CDNG, opened in After Effects with ACR (add Cinelog here), then using NeatVideo to reduce any noise and export as Avid DNxHD Movs so I have a 'digital negative' but in an editable format. Then cut in Premiere and colour in After Effects over the dynamic link thingy.

LUT wise I used a blend of a Cinelog LUT (Eastman) to get the colours and one of James Miller's Deluts to bring up the black level and with the shadows that filmy look. I played with the Vibrance effect in After Effects as that does a great job at bringing out the colours whilst leaving the skin tones alone. I use FilmConvert as the last step as I'm a sucker for that grainy look.

Lens wise they are just the lenses I've fallen in love with recently, but would love to expand my collection when I get a chance. I shot a lot of it pretty much wide open to get that dreamy ethereal quality, hope that comes across OK.

Let me know if you think I could be improving my workflow, any insights would be great. I've learned almost everything I know from kind people on this forum so any light I can shed is my pleasure!

Take care,

Jeb