Controlling 5D Mark ii via USB

Started by Alexqw, May 15, 2015, 01:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexqw

Hello Everyone,

Excuse my ignorance, but I am relatively new to ML and have been unable to find in the docs the answer to my problem.

I have a 5D Mark ii running ML, and I am trying to take multiple 15-20 minute long videos in succession. The start and end of the videos will be determined by a python script running on a linux computer, connected via USB.

I've found gphoto2, which does let me take videos, but it seems that it achieves this through a stream of jpegs to assemble a motion-jpeg file. Ideally, I'd like to record h264 (with sound) via ML and dictate the start and stop time via USB.

Does anyone know of a way to achieve this? Or should I be looking into features like HDMI Output (which seems to require quite a few compromises, including no sound :-/).

Thanks in advance for your time.

---Alex

dmilligan

http://gphoto.org/doc/remote/
Capturing movies with sound is currently possible with:

Newer Canon EOS DSLRs (around 7D and later) : Switch the camera to movie record mode on the camera. Then run gphoto2 --set-config eosviewfinder=1 --set-config movierecordtarget=Card --wait-event=10s --set-config movierecordtarget=None --wait-event-and-download=2s (in 2.5.6 or later, replace eosviewfinder to viewfinder).

Also, if there's no particular reason the script *has* to be running on a computer, you can create a lua script to run on the camera itself that can easily do this.

Alexqw

Quote from: dmilligan on May 15, 2015, 02:34:05 PM
http://gphoto.org/doc/remote/

Ahh excellent. I missed that section. Thanks. :-)

Quote from: dmilligan on May 15, 2015, 02:34:05 PM
Also, if there's no particular reason the script *has* to be running on a computer, you can create a lua script to run on the camera itself that can easily do this.

Yeah, in this instance I think I do need the script running on the laptop, as it will be coordinating with other devices.

Thanks for the information!

---Alex