Canon 6D

Started by Maqs, May 01, 2015, 09:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyronetheterrible

It worked!  :D

Thank you for being so helpful, Levas!

BlueNinja

Quote from: BlueNinja on November 17, 2018, 07:43:39 PM
Hello I have a 6D with 1.1.7, I have installed 1.1.6 from here and installed ML but it doesn't work, the ML menu doesn't show up when I press Q, when I go to video on the screen appears shortcuts for iso and WB but that's it. I have uninstalled ML and installed again but it still doesn't work, I have searched the forum but I haven't found anything about this problem. I have a Tamron 24-70 f2.8 lens and 32 Gb Sandisk Card and the original battery. Do you have any ideas what could be wrong?

Any ideas please?

Walter Schulz

ML menu doesn't show up on pressing "Q". Try trashcan button.

BlueNinja

Quote from: Walter Schulz on November 26, 2018, 07:02:08 PM
ML menu doesn't show up on pressing "Q". Try trashcan button.

Thank you, that worked  :)

CommanderLake

Is 1920x1080 or similar res possible with 2x2 binning? I just discovered the resolutions in 5x zoom mode and the quality is perfect but the crop factor is too much.

Walter Schulz

First someone has to find out how to do 2x2 binning with Canon cams.

CommanderLake

Maybe the question I should be asking is how does one get the best possible raw video from the 6D at 1920x1080 or similar while using a significant portion of the sensor?
The problem I'm having is false color along sharp horizontal edges.

Levas

The question you should asking is, how do I get rid of false color  ;)

See this post:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19300.msg206100#msg206100

If the MLV to dng to rawtherapee to tiff sequence to your video editor of choice is too much work, you can give MLVapp a try.
It doesn't have the defringe option, but there are versions of MLVapp which support the LMMSE debayering, which gives much less false color as the more used AMAZE debayering.
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=20025.msg186965#msg186965

CommanderLake

I already use MLV App, what causes the false colour? Is it just the light hitting individual sub pixels?
Is 3x3 binning an averaging of 9 pixels into 1 or something else? Surely that would help alleviate the issue but it doesn't.

Levas

If already using MLVapp, do you use the 'force LMMSE' option for debayer in the export settings ?
otherwise, it doesn't help reducing false color.

The binning on 6d is actually only horizontal, vertical it skips two lines, all other ML capable cams do this, except the 5d3 which does the 3x3 binning.
The vertical line skipping is mostly causing the false color. You're actually missing two lines of (color) info, which gives in small details very contrasty color info.

Alex explains the lineskipping/binning stuff in this post:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16516.msg160831#msg160831

CommanderLake

LMMSE is different but not really better as it introduces other artefacts and doesn't fix the gappy horizontal lines caused by the line skipping.
It seems the 5x zoom mode fixes the line skipping issue but then my 35mm lens becomes a telephoto lens.

Levas

You can't really do much about gappy horizontal lines,
Maybe some, if you are willing to spend 365 dollar for a special filter to put in your camera, but for 365 dollar, I can live with the gappy horizontal lines just fine  :P
http://www.mosaicengineering.com/products/vaf/6d.html
Another option is to use (old) soft lenses(Helios 44-2 for example) or use lenses wide open, that way you won't see as much sharp lines in the background  ;)
My suggestion is, learn to live with it, makes live much easier.

You can do however much in post to remove false color.
if you don't like LMMSE, you could also try to do a blur on the chroma only.
With that you basically split your clip in a a chroma and a luma channel and only do a blur on the chroma part, then mix both channels together and most false color is removed.
You can do this in most video editors, here's an example from youtube where Black magic Davinci Resolve is used:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYg5OlxrYZs

FeelingEpic

Is it possible to install Magic Lantern software for the 6D onto my 6D Mark II? If so, has anyone done this successfully? Which build should I use? Are there are any missing features or drawbacks?

I know someone who used 5D-specific ML software on their 6D. However, since the 6D Mark II ML software has not been released yet, I wonder if it is possible to use an older version of Magic Lantern while I wait.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

CommanderLake

Care to share how you got 96 FPS with a 6D?

Levas

The 96 fps on the 6d is done with a customized crop_rec module.

I promised to upload that build a long time ago ;D
Ok, now I'm going to upload it  :D
I've waited that long because it is not very stable and is not reliable and it probably works best with settings I'll give now  :P
You're probably want to have experience with magic lantern and raw video and a little knowledge about post production and be able to unstretch the footage to the right aspect ratio. (it's recorded with 4 x lineskipping, just as Canon does in 720p mode, so footage needs to be vertical stretched with a factor of 1.67)
1440 x 354 resolution, which is recorded, will give you a unstretched resolution of 1440 x (354x1.67)= 591 pixels, almost about 1:2.4 ratio.

Some instructions:
Turn on the camera in video mode and use the menu button to enter canon menu, now change movie rec.size to 1280-50fps all-i. (it's in the 6th tab)
The above can be done without ML and even without SD card in your camera, it's just setting your camera in 1280x720 x 50fps video mode.
(If trying to use this setting in normal 1080p mode, you're camera will soft brick, it doesn't respond to the on/off switch and you must pull out the battery and put it back in to get life back in your camera  ;))

Download this crop_rec module for 6d (Not for the faint hearted  8) )
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MalTVtGvQfoKsTPtV9oC7YQ7J811tvDw/view?usp=sharing

Put it on your SD card in the ML/Modules/ folder.
Turn on your camera and enable the crop_rec module on the module tab.
Turn off and on your camera so the module will be loaded during startup, this gives a new option 'crop mode' in the movie tab, within ML menu.
Before activating the crop mode, I advise to go into raw video menu and set your preview option to 'frozen LV'.
I've just tested it, and it seems to work most reliable with frozen LV. (With other settings I got very often a top display 'error 70' camera shutdown  :P )
Now that's all set enter ML menu and in the movie tab go to crop mode and select 1440 x 354 100 fps option, jup that's right, this is the special 100 fps edition instead of 96 fps  ;D

Now the crop mode is selected, turn of your camera, set the switch to video mode (works best if your camera starts up directly in video mode)
and switch the camera on.
You will see a 50 fps normal live view.
Hold down half shutter press and you will see  the ML preview, right.
Now let go with the half shutter press and use the magnify button and cycle trough the different modes(1x,5x and 10x) until you're back in normal view, so the magnify button needs to be pressed 4 times.
Now try the half shutter preview again, most of the times it works and now you will see the framing preview of what will be recorded in 100fps.
If the preview looks broken, which happens sometimes, cycle through all the zoom modes again with the magnify button, and try half shutter press again in normal view mode.
Once your half shutter press preview works, you can frame your shot, let go the half shutter press and hit the start/stop button to start recording.
you will probably see a black and white low resolution ML preview, refresh rate of the screen is slow, the whole camera and menu responses a little slow when this crop mode is enabled...

If you're unlucky, your camera shutsdown during recording with 'error 70' displayed on top display. But no worries, turn your camera on and off again and it should work. If not, pull out battery and put it back in and turn on the camera, everything should work. I've had a lot of crashes during testing and never destroyed my camera. Sometimes when a battery pull is needed, the refresh rate of my liveview looks a little messed up, flickering. But after a few minutes of camera usage and turning it on and off a few times, things got normal again.
So this specific crop rec module is not for the faint hearted  :D

For anybody who is interested in the source, here it is:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c-Z0s5qqv40me1PSTf2KQ4nr-y4X-g2u/view?usp=sharing

CommanderLake

Thanks Levas, now I need to find something that moves so I can test it!
MLV App has a built in 1.67x stretch option in the transform section.
If this were possible in 5x mode to eliminate binning/line skipping would that improve performance or reliability any?

CommanderLake

It works great but only at 1440 14bit lossless and it wont work properly if I overclock the SD, is there any chance you could get it to work with the SD_UHS module and increase the vertical rez?

Levas

Quote from: FeelingEpic on December 14, 2018, 02:01:43 PM
Is it possible to install Magic Lantern software for the 6D onto my 6D Mark II?
That, unfortunately, won't work.
Different camera's need different Magic lantern build.
Simple said, Magic Lantern code is basicaly the same, but you need to know specific properties of the camera and all the addresses/locations of the interesting parts in the firmware of the camera.
I've no experience in this, here is a topic about it:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19737.msg185811#msg185811

Levas

@Commanderlake

The 1440 limit was set by me, to get a standard aspect ratio of about 2.40 after unstretching the footage.
I can get 1784 resolution, without lowering the frame rate, so still 100 fps.
I did some quick tests, and it looks like I can get a little more vertical resolution after some tweaking, 370 instead of 354.
When I go higher then 370, I get corrupted or frozen frames.

Here's a build, with 1784 x 370 @ 100 fps.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kGrAcBJn6WuZqaiJ831Pn_A3RIYWAeDR/view?usp=sharing

I could get more decent resolution for 75 fps, according to above results, I guess something about 1600 x 600 @ 75 fps should be possible (so no unstretching is needed)

CommanderLake

I was trying a slightly lower rez because it cant record continuously and overclocking the SD breaks it and I have to turn the camera off and on again every time and I cant change other stuff that resets after a power cycle such as the buffer display.

I just discovered MLV App cant export at more than 60 FPS and resamples the framerate rather than slowing it down.

ctfire

Quote from: Levas on December 21, 2018, 07:31:05 PM
@Commanderlake

The 1440 limit was set by me, to get a standard aspect ratio of about 2.40 after unstretching the footage.
I can get 1784 resolution, without lowering the frame rate, so still 100 fps.
I did some quick tests, and it looks like I can get a little more vertical resolution after some tweaking, 370 instead of 354.
When I go higher then 370, I get corrupted or frozen frames.

Here's a build, with 1784 x 370 @ 100 fps.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kGrAcBJn6WuZqaiJ831Pn_A3RIYWAeDR/view?usp=sharing

I could get more decent resolution for 75 fps, according to above results, I guess something about 1600 x 600 @ 75 fps should be possible (so no unstretching is needed)

Hi levas, please can you make a build wich will include 1832x800 50 fps 720 1832x1230 35 1080p ,2688x1166 25fps  and  1600x600 75 fps ? it will be  superb build.

Levas

Ok, here's a new ultimate crop_rec module build for the 6d  :D

Use at your own risk, I very rarely had a camera crash, error 70/80, which was fixed by pulling out the battery.

All works best if in ML raw video menu preview option 'frozen LV' is set.

The first 4 presets only work if camera is set in 720p mode in Canon menu (1280x720-50fps, if not available, be sure camera is set to PAL).
In plain 1080p mode, the camera crashes on these presets and you need to pull the battery out to fix this  :P

To be sure everything is loaded from the preset you have to cycle through all zoom modes with magnify button.
First 4 presets have to be used in non zoom mode.
The last 5 have to be used in 5x zoom mode (non zoom mode looks normal, but shuttertime is not correct, so be sure to use 5x zoom mode)

The first 4 presets are all done in 3x3 readout, so no vertical unstretching is needed.

The fun thing, 5x zoom mode in 720p mode is the same as in 1080p mode, so all presets can be used in Canon 720p mode.
Although you can't set shutter time below 1/60th ofcourse, unless you enable 'full range' shutter range within crop menu (press 'q' button while highlighting 'crop mode' option in ML menu).

One more note, if 'frozenLV' is set as preview, most crop presets give ML preview automatically, only in 75fps and 100fps preset, half shutter press is needed to see ML preview.
So when using 75 or 100fps, you need to use half shutter press to see framing/preview, if the preview looks weird, try again after cycling through all the zoom modes with magnify button on camera.

Here's the link to the module file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fyft-vQShrFFw6TKecvYyacsfm-MTKY6/view?usp=sharing

Here's the link to the (messy) source:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D8aGy-Ci1L2qXwNUZr3LXr0h3epQdfgN/view?usp=sharing

@CommanderLake
The presets work fine with SD write speed hack, I start up the camera in video mode, cycle through the different zoom modes, and when everything works correct, ML preview is normal and frame rate is good, I'll switch back to photo mode(the switch on your camera), load the SD write speed hack, and after that switch back to video mode.
The SD write speed hack can't be loaded in video mode when raw video is enabled, be sure to load the hack in photo mode and everything works fine.

Danne

Cool! Now put in the reduced bitrate through analog gains ;)

CommanderLake

Doing absolutely anything breaks it even opening and closing the magic lantern menu or zooming in, the live view just corrupts and freezes and when that happens any recording is completely corrupt.
It works better with global draw off.

Levas

Works fine over here, in combination with the crop_rec_4K build from the experimental builds downloadpage.
But maybe there are other settings at play ???
You are not using fps override option in Magic lantern, otherwise, you should turn that off.

Every crop presets has a lowest compatible shuttertime value.
Not sure what happens if you have a value lower then the selected framerate?
Try enabling/opening a crop preset with the shuttertime already higher then 1/fps.
So for 100fps use, 1/160th or 1/200th for shuttertime.