Intervalometer Timing Not Working

Started by Sasquatch, April 27, 2015, 03:35:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sasquatch

Using a 7D with the nightly build of 4/19/15 and several previous builds, the Inveralometer will do the following:  Set the interval time to anything under 4 seconds and this problem will arise.  It will take a picture, wait the appropriate amount of time, then take two rapid fire pictures, then take the next picture at the right moment.  The incorrect timing is sporadic.  I've had ten pictures fire correctly. then it will take another one sooner then it should.  Needless to say this would not take a very smooth time lapse.  The settings I am using are: The Start After is set to 0, Stop After is disabled, Start Trigger is set to Take a Pic.  Exposure Mode is Manual.  Shutter mode is single frame.  I am using a 10mm to 22mm lens.  Varying exposure time of up to 1/200.

The problem seems to be a system lag.  You can see the countdown to the next picture and at times it will skip a digit, say 3 then to 1, and continue.  I've even at times seen it display -1 seconds.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

moodlover

I'm having the SAME exact issue, was just gonna post about this. It'll take one picture at the appropriate time, then the next two will have a shorter duration between them.

5DIII w/ nightly march 19 2015 1.1.3
all in-camera processing things like noise reduction, highlight tone priority etc turned OFF
take pic every 3 seconds, image review 2 seconds, exposure manual (shutter speed always between 1/60-1/100)
start trigger is shutter press (take 1st picture), stop after 250 shots
global draw ON (I have a lot of stuff on that seems to lag the system, will try with it off), post deflicker OFF
auto ETTR OFF (I like to expose the picture myself)

VIDEO PROOF

edit: yup, 2 solutions, extend time to take picture every 4-5 seconds or higher (undesired because this means my timelapses that take 10 minutes to shoot will now take 15-20 minutes), or turn off global draw. take picture every 3 seconds with global draw off seems to help somewhat, though I feel theres still some very slight time variation (milliseconds at most). I dont mind turning gdraw off since I dont really need it after checking its histogram

Licaon_Kter

This depends on your card speed too, it wastes time there.
What's the point of image review? You change settings in 3 seconds?

moodlover

It cant be my card, I have a lexar 64gb 1000x so photos should not be a problem. I've tried image review on HOLD as well it doesnt affect the timing. The guide says to use any other setting besides "OFF" for image review.

B.Rae

I'm using the same exact build and having the same issue on my (600D).  From messing around with it last night it would seem like an issue with the interval related to shutter speed.  I was playing around with 30 second exposure times with a 5 second interval but I realized I have to set the interval to 35 seconds to have a 5 second gap with a 30 second exposure or else it would freak out and start shooting random frames once the current exposure completed (like it was trying to play catch up).   

UPDATE:  The above may have been due to my fundamental misunderstanding of how the interval/shutter speed relationship works when using ETTR module.  I did still seem to think there was some funky-ness regarding the timing of the intervalometer,  even when I had a situation where the shutter speed was much slower than the interval sometimes it would take shots at an obviously delayed rate and sometimes shoot pics double time.  I'd be interested to hear what the developers think about this.