HELP :( One MLV showed continuous recording for 30 minutes..now says 608 bytes

Started by nateb, April 17, 2015, 02:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nateb

Please help me recover this clip from an event, if possible.

Before I explain what happened, let me clarify that right now the card I used has been formatted twice and all I have left from this clip is 9 .M00 files (M00-M08) - 52 bytes AND the .MLV which is 608 bytes.

If the thirty minutes of footage I remember recording simply is not there then I understand that perhaps nothing can be done.

Background:
I was filming on my KB 1200x 256GB card on 5D miii running firmware 1.2.3 with the July 3, 2014 build.  I recorded small clips totaling about 10 GB.  I recorded a 20 minute clip and took the opportunity to stop and start another one.  (These clips are intact)  I started a clip that ran for about 30 minutes of continuous shooting, then I got the normal message indicating card full "error card full?" I was happy because the clip had ended just in time for the speaker. 

I was offloading several CF cards (others are 64GB) and I didn't notice that the total space used on the 256GB card was low.  Now I am looking at all my .MLVs and I see where the huge clip is missing, and in its place: 9 .M00 files (M00-M08) - 52 bytes AND the .MLV which is 608 bytes.  I am sure this is the clip that I remember seeing continuous recording throughout on my external monitor.

Is it possible that all the information is still there and somehow expandable?

The clip was actually during the most important part of the event.  I would be SO grateful if someone can help.

Thanks in advance!!!

nateb

Licaon_Kter

nateb

I've recreated the scenario on the 256 KB card and the same thing happens at thirty minutes of continuous recording.  I realize some are working on a way to record past thirty minutes.  BUT as for the truncated files..why are mine disappearing?

Walter Schulz

30 minutes limitation for RAW/MLV recording was fixed in late January. And 40 GByte limitation with MLV recording followed shortly after.

nateb

Quote from: Walter Schulz on April 17, 2015, 09:40:50 AM
30 minutes limitation for RAW/MLV recording was fixed in late January. And 40 GByte limitation with MLV recording followed shortly after.

Is this true also for 5D3 v1.2.3?  If not, which firmware do you recommend for stable 24p and these new fixes?

Also, anyway to recover my 30 minute mlv?

Licaon_Kter

Update first and retry.

Those 608bytes files mean that the recording failed, somewhere, I don't think there is anything to recover.

Walter Schulz

About 30 minutes seamless: Yet has to be confirmed for 5D3.123
http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14644.msg141430#msg141430

Only 5D3.123 builds having this code are the latest and the one before.
And don't ask me for recommended builds. In lack of 5D3 I was not able to test.

Data recovery: You may test photorec.

nateb

Yes I saw that thread Walter, thanks for your work. 

I am ok with stopping my clips before 30 minutes.  I am just upset about the old truncating issue with .raw in the past where the file vanishes if it hits max space on the card.  I thought this was resolved with .MLV 

I will try photorec.

nateb

Photorec is far beyond my understanding. I can't get it working. If someone is willing to take a crack at my MLV and M00-M08 files I will transfer them to you.  The clip is wedding vows.  I was foolish to not test the 256 KB card at full capacity and a truncated clip beforehand.

Walter Schulz

Transfering files is of no use in this case. You have to run recovery apps for your card.
Maybe there is someone to use tools like Teamviewer to guide you through.

g3gg0

make a disk image of the card with faield video.

then play with photorec on that image file.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

nateb

Quote from: g3gg0 on April 17, 2015, 11:02:23 PM
make a disk image of the card with faield video.

then play with photorec on that image file.

Thanks g3ggo, is it still possible if I have formatted the card twice with OSX disk utility (exFat) since then?

g3gg0

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!