c100 now 3000$

Started by Edgar Matos, April 01, 2015, 07:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edgar Matos

So, the infamous c100 is now under medium end reach. What is stopping you guys now to play with this toy?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/889545-REG/Canon_EOS_C100_EF_Cinema.html

I enjoyed discovering so many secrets about the 600D.  But the c100 stole my full attention as well.

Your move.

Walter Schulz

Dev team made a decision some time ago *not* to touch Canon's pro gear and that means anything with a C in front and all 1D family members.
Concludes with some hints about Canon wanting to go to war with anyone messing up with this kind of gear.

Edgar Matos

Yeah I remember all that fuss. But nothing is forever. They were crying to protect their selling. And I meant, the crazy unjustified price difference between the DSLR and the C line. But they have reach a inflation point, making then equal as a business option.

I believe ML team has their hand full right now. But lets not forget History: the original 5D US$3299 now 400$ Fall 2005.

Let alone the fact that the 5D Mark 4 price tag will be higher than the current C100. And knowing canon, they may as well put a C to it's name because "reasons" which they don't have. 

This is not a request, Just looking how the world goes round.

chmee

you re argueing only on price-tag. and tomorow magiclantern vanishes. just because we wanted to play.. and so on. apertus will turn the world upside down, in terms of business.

QuoteBut nothing is forever.
canon is more forever than magiclantern ;)
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

Edgar Matos

Well @chmee, everything goes.

Hey... Have you ever wonder if here is this person who hacked and fix his own high end cameras, looking at the stars while eating a hamburger, laughing at us fighting this tech war.   

chmee

everyone can hack/resolder his highend-camera, if he's able/willing to. no problem. this guy never gave his knowledge for free to the world. magiclantern is still walking on thin ice. and some rules of ethic can prevent the disappearing. do you want to take responsibility, that years of work are gone with a blink of an eye? strange idea of a rebellion.. magiclantern just did a lot for the indy-cam-guys..

just to repeat myself: canon is much much more forever than magiclantern

reddeercity

Nothing is forever even Canon,  but they well be around for a few more decades at least ,
and the only thing that can kill Magic Lantern is Magic Lantern It's Self.

I like the idea of hacking the C100 Special at that price point, makes me think about it  :)

Edgar Matos

QuoteI like the idea of hacking the C100 Special at that price point, makes me think about it  :)

(Malevolent voice) YeEss YeEEs... Come to the daaark sidee...

(Malevolent voice) The Yellow Lanterns will arise once more

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: reddeercity on April 01, 2015, 09:16:56 PM
Nothing is forever even Canon,  but they well be around for a few more decades at least ,
and the only thing that can kill Magic Lantern is Magic Lantern It's Self.

I like the idea of hacking the C100 Special at that price point, makes me think about it  :)
Agreed and I like the idea as well.

Quote from: Edgar Matos on April 01, 2015, 09:38:40 PM
(Malevolent voice) YeEss YeEEs... Come to the daaark sidee...

(Malevolent voice) The Yellow Lanterns will arise once more
LoL, Hilarious $h!t!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

reddeercity

extremelypoorfilmaker

Post like this make me hate myself for not have opted to go to electronics school and choose graphic design instead. If i had the skills i would have probably started design my very own camera long time ago.. And to add salt to the wound, before i discovered the Axiom project , i was bothering a friend of mine with a deep knowledge of electronics to come up for a design of a camera like the Axiom. or well, at least some kind of concept.

But now that i think of it, when and if the Apertus Axiom Gamma,  will be ready and available for everyone at let's say at a price tag of $2000 And the image quality will be same if not better of any high-end cameras on the market now (RED, Arri, etc.) how the camera market AND entertainment business will change? Theoretically, at one point, anyone earning roughly $2500 - $3000 a month from their day job will be having enough funds to create it's own small production studio. will it be the end of big studios and film-making / TV-making will be definitely transferred as to the masses? What are your ideas? :)

chmee

to be honest..
as long as the hacked c100 or c300 wouldnt lower the sells of the Mark II-versions, it could be doable, but.. your expectations would be far higher than just an "update". thats the point. the moment, canon would see lowering profit because of a free hack, they would do everything stopping it.

i'm sorry, that i m not that revolutionary - because after that, we will have lost all.

DeafEyeJedi

Point taken, @chmee!

Very true and there's always a good reason why ML hasn't touch the C's or D's...

5D3 is still somewhat dominating though!

KelvinK

Quote from: extremelypoorfilmaker on April 01, 2015, 11:01:39 PM
Post like this make me hate myself for not have opted to go to electronics school and choose graphic design instead. If i had the skills i would have probably started design my very own camera long time ago.. And to add salt to the wound, before i discovered the Axiom project , i was bothering a friend of mine with a deep knowledge of electronics to come up for a design of a camera like the Axiom. or well, at least some kind of concept.

But now that i think of it, when and if the Apertus Axiom Gamma,  will be ready and available for everyone at let's say at a price tag of $2000 And the image quality will be same if not better of any high-end cameras on the market now (RED, Arri, etc.) how the camera market AND entertainment business will change? Theoretically, at one point, anyone earning roughly $2500 - $3000 a month from their day job will be having enough funds to create it's own small production studio. will it be the end of big studios and film-making / TV-making will be definitely transferred as to the masses? What are your ideas? :)

you're dreaming. im pretty doubting, working axiom will have 2k$ price tag. it says "under 10k", so expect 5k-6k$. if it could be 2k% they would say "under 5k".
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

KelvinK

back to c100, if it could have ML with RAW recording with 3k$ price, i would insta buy it and i believe MANY :) but will never happen, so let's wait for axiom.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

dubzeebass

Wouldn't be worth it due to SD cards only.

KelvinK

So what?  Worth many times. SD cards are cool nowadays, there're sandisk with 250MB/s write speed cards already. And you never know what conroller canon put in C100. Even if it's not fast enough, having little less resolutuion then 1920 worth it. C100 has no visible moire or aliasing, it will scale w/o any visible artifacts.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

chmee

@KelvinK
the problems are nearly the same as on all raw-recording dslr-bodies. the datarate is big, the io-port(sd) is unknown. theres one change: the body itself. i think theres a bitflag for 2k-4:2:2-Mpeg2-mxf at 50mbit and because its the same sensor as in c300 and c500 i believe there could be a bitflag for 4k as well. for me it would be straight ok, a hack would open kind of 1920*1080 4:2:2 at 10bit h264 50mbit. but this would smash the c100II and c300-profits.

QuoteC100 has no visible moire or aliasing, it will scale w/o any visible artifacts.
it hasnt, because the algorithms inside are optimized to this output and this sensor. in raw you'd meet it all again.

KelvinK

well, chmee  ;) that's why it will never happen  :'(

about aliasing, we don't know how they read data from censor, they'd never post any technical info about it, so i'm sure raw could be aliasing free, same as 5d3
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: KelvinK on April 02, 2015, 12:57:58 PM
back to c100, if it could have ML with RAW recording with 3k$ price, i would insta buy it and i believe MANY :) but will never happen, so let's wait for axiom.
Agreed

Plus I use c100 II at work and man their upgraded slots for Fast SD cards (250-280 MB/s) is freaking unbelievable but IMHO, I still prefer to use 5D3 w ML over any c100's (mark I or mark II) and this is no post April Fool's Joke!

chmee

now's the c300 II official.

specs:
4k and UHD -10bit 4:2:2 - up to 410mbit/s - up to 30fps
2K and FHD - 10/12bit 4:4:4 - up to 120fps
codec - XF-AVC H.264
Dynamicrange - theoretically with C-Log up to 15 ELV
no raw!
price - around 15.000€
just to hack half of the specs into a c100 or c300 would anger Canon.

regards chmee

extremelypoorfilmaker

mmmm.. Might as well stick with the 5D3 + magic lantern and just wait the guys at apertus to finish their great work! :)

Still, who needs 4K? i have to say that the 2K raw you get out of magic lantern stretched to 4K jpeg looks very pleasing. also, not long ago, all the movies we watched in cinemas were shot in 2K..

so, who need 4K? why everyone seems to be so crazy about 4K? Why so much DATA? :)

chmee

Quote..all the movies we watched in cinemas were shot in 2K..
half true.. most of the playout-systems werent able to show 4k (still are) - and in analog times a 2k-copied filmroll was massively cheaper. to search the truth, its all about the price - and yes, in cinema i see a place, where 4K has its justification. nonetheless yes as well, the jump from sd to hd was the big one, most of the 4k-advantages stay in the postpro..
Quotei have to say that the 2K raw you get out of magic..
..is bayered, so its not a true final resolution. thats the reason, why arri had ~2880px width - to get crisp 2048/1920px.