Journey (a short film)

Started by TheYan, August 25, 2015, 01:26:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheYan

Shot on 5D Mark III with ML Raw.
(You may wish to turn on subtitles)

---------------------------------
Always be open-minded about other people. You never know when or where you're going to meet your next temptation... or... your... last?

DeafEyeJedi

Looks Nice and Clean esp w the Blacks. Mind to share your workflow/colorgrade?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

TheYan

First every shot is converted to DNG's and put in a separate AE file, because I do most of VFX there. While in the import stage of DNG's to AE, some settings are tweaked, to for example to bring up the shadows. Because many shots are similar, I normally create a profile in Camera RAW after I'm happy with the shot and apply it to the next "look-alike" shot.
After I get all the shots, each in a separate AE file (balanced and normalized to look alike), they all get rendered to a lower quality for editing purposes.
After all the shots are rendered to mp4's, they all are set to each respective AE clip file as a "proxy".
Those AE files are imported in Premiere for editing, where I do all the editing with the use of their dynamic link. This way I can do advance effects in AE, while cutting as I need in Premiere. Also because the original DNG's are linked to a proxy created, I can easily switch the quality of the video, while maintaining all effects.
After the cut and effects are made, everything goes to Speedgrade ,where all the color-grading happens, finishing off in Premiere.
Finally, I switch off the proxy and render the film using original DNG's.
I of course do preliminary renders using lower quality mp4's first.