a 400-mile timelapse with ML intervalometer

Started by brianymarsh, July 19, 2012, 05:20:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianymarsh

A little tiltshift timelapse I filmed on the 6 hour drive back to California from Pheonix, Arizona.

Magic Lantern's intervalometer was used to snap a picture ever 3 seconds for 400 miles.

Camera Settings:
Shutter speed was 1/8
ISO 100
Proper exposure set with an ND filter.

aspire.saadi

how did you deal with exposure variations during the trip ... also where did you mount it and using what ?... great work btw !

Digital Guy

Very effective and nicely done. Shutter speed 1/8 ?? How come the car in front is in focus and not blurred?
Magic Lantern v2.3 installed on both Canon 60D's with 17-85 & 10-22 & 18-250mm lenses. Canon EOS-M EOSM-FD adapter. Crazy about HDR timelapse photography, I'm experimenting with HDR video and use Sony Vegas Pro 12 video editor and Photomatix Pro

vargluc

Quote from: Digital Guy on July 27, 2012, 03:30:56 PM
Very effective and nicely done. Shutter speed 1/8 ?? How come the car in front is in focus and not blurred?
probably used a very closed diaphragm and the blurryness may be caused by tilt shift as described (either analog [lens] or digital [editing], greetings

weldroid

Awesome! How did you fix the camera onto the dashboard (I assume)?
Weapon of choice:
600D, EF-S 18-55 ISII Premiere, Luminance HDR, Blender, Luxrender
http://www.vimeo.com/weldroid (http://soundcloud.com/weldroid)

brianymarsh

Quote from: aspire.saadi on July 27, 2012, 03:00:03 PM
how did you deal with exposure variations during the trip ... also where did you mount it and using what ?... great work btw !

Thank you !

For dealing with the exposure variations, I  didn't have to do any bulb ramping because our drive took place during the day, so overall exposure didn't shift that much. Using a Variable ND filter, I made sure that I didn't underexpose to the point where I would loose to much detail under cloud cover. At the beginning of the drive I taped the variable ND in place, so it wouldn't shift.

Quote from: weldroid on July 27, 2012, 08:48:14 PM
Awesome! How did you fix the camera onto the dashboard (I assume)?

I fixed my Canon 60D upside down onto the front windshield on the passenger side with a manfrotto 155 suction mount. I had a battery grip on my 60D, and I was in a Toyota Yaris, so the clearance between the windshield and the dashboard didn't allow for me to mount the camera right side up.  I placed a small beanbag between the camera and the windshield for cushioning and added support, and placed black cloth around the mount in order to shade the camera from the heat.

Quote from: Digital Guy on July 27, 2012, 03:30:56 PM

Thank you, anything that was traveling at a similar speed to the car was more in focus. Traveling at a similar velocity allowed for the lowering of the shutter speed without loosing focus on the cars, and also enabled me to show the evolution of large or slow moving objects, such as the sky and mountains.

screamer

always trying to use the 100% of magic lantern..
Gear:
Canon 60D, all the samyang lenses, Canon 50 mm 1.4, Canon 60mm macro, Canon 70-300 usm, Sigma 4.5mm fisheye, Sigma 17-70 2.8, Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake, all the Lensbabies and a lot of other pieces, Flash metz 58 af2

brianymarsh

Malcolm Debono

Nice timelapse! Really like the colours and the use of tilt-shift effect  :)
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

brianymarsh

Quote from: Malcolm Debono on August 07, 2012, 01:02:55 PM
Nice timelapse! Really like the colours and the use of tilt-shift effect  :)

Thanks!  :)

dariwz

What program did you use?
Did you use any filter?

is beautiful :D
ML 2.3: 600D/T3i; EF-S18-55mm II, EF 50mm f/1.8 II

dhilung

Nice work! I like the motion effect with 1/8.

I happened to try similar time-lapse in the same road! not as long as yours though. I also tried to stabilize it in AE using trackers, however, due to the distortion of the wide lens, stabilization with just an XY-plane-correction was not effective.
5D2 | 40D

brianymarsh

Quote from: dariwz on August 16, 2012, 08:51:54 PM
What program did you use?
Did you use any filter?

is beautiful :D

Thank you!

I used Adobe Premiere Pro to merge the images and colorista II to grade.

brianymarsh

Quote from: dhilung on August 17, 2012, 12:01:38 PM
Nice work! I like the motion effect with 1/8.

I happened to try similar time-lapse in the same road! not as long as yours though. I also tried to stabilize it in AE using trackers, however, due to the distortion of the wide lens, stabilization with just an XY-plane-correction was not effective.

Hey dhilung,

Would love to see the timelapse you did!

It can be a bit tricky to stabilize with distortion. You may want to give Premiere & After Effects CS6 Warp Stabilizer.

For my video, I didn't apply any stabilization, the bean bag seemed to work fine :)

-Brian